Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need advice from pros. Karndean flooring install

Posted by janetaz (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 19:26

I have decided I like the Karndean vinyl plank floors and want them in our house. I keep reading that it is not a diy project. Hubby thinks he can do it. He has zero experience. Can I get some opinions please. I'd rather him not do it. The project would be a home and the areas would be the main living area, about 1500 sq. ft.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need advice from pros. Karndean flooring install

Education and prep time are the biggest time expenditures regarding any DIY flooring project. You have to learn the skills
necessary, gather tools that you may not have and thenh be prepared for the frustrations and time expenditure realities of flooring for the first time. Flooring isn't difficult, but it is physically challenging and you must read and follow ALL directions in order to have a successful outcome. There are no shortcuts.

o

Thanks Glenn. My hubby is a real handyman. He can fix anything. He does follow instructions to the tee. He is meticulous and has the patience of a Saint.That said, the floor project could take weeks, monthes even, lol! He has never done floors. After your advice, I'm inclined to think he could do it. We're still pricing, gosh flooring is so much more difficult than I expected.

o

Even if it takes a couple of weeks to plan the job and actually do it, a guy like you describe is sure to get it right the first time. Patience and maticulousness (yes, it is a word) are definite pluses to have when doing floor work.

Choosing and installing flooring (or having it installed by a flooring expert) is something most consumers only do a few times during their lifetimes. It is understandable for consumers to be confused by the many choices in the marketplace. New products are introduced yearly and patterns and colorways are changed more often than that.

o

I had the same dilemma when we got our kitchen cabinets. Knew DH could do it, but the time factor and patience, etc. weren't in our favor.

Here in NYS there is sales tax on purchases but having it installed puts it into a different untaxed category so when I showed him how much we'd save in tax by having it installed...it about paid the difference. Cabinets installed, molding done, all in one day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here