Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laminate v/s Hardwood on Stairs

Posted by discoganya (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 18:11

Our house has 14 stairs with a landing in between. Currently it is carpeted. However the carpet is old and dirty (due to our large dog) and needs to be replaced.

Given that our dog must make 20 trips up and down everyday, that she weight 135lbs and every time she does that we feel a mini-earthquake, would you recommend hardwood or laminate?

Prices are at par -- with cheap stuff from lumber liquidators.

I prefer the high end feel of HW, plus it will help when selling the house. I just don't want to end up with crappy floors in 1 year due to the dog.

Any thoughts?

Dog on laminate :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laminate v/s Hardwood on Stairs

My experiences are that with whatever you do you're going to need carpet or run a runner for the dog... Dogs in my family have never been able to get used to the solid surface - one of them needed to be carried because they were so nervous sliding on the steps.

As far as durability, laminate. Hardwood is softer and you'll pay a premium to find a hardwood product that can handle large dogs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here