Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kalbi1377_gw

Oak Plantation w/ Air Dried 48 Finish

kalbi1377
11 years ago

We are re-doing our kitchen and plan on using 3/4" solid hardwood floors. After deliberating the options the one that stood out most was:

Plantation Oak - brand

Toffee - color

Air Dried 48 Finish (AD48)

It is a really great looking floor but was wondering the following:

Is anyone familiar with this brand?

This company does not have a website as far as I can tell (through extensive googling). What I could ascertain is that there are 2 other companies that carry the same product Chinafloors (www.chinafloors.com) and Lamett (www.lamett.us). My suspicion is that Chinafloors is the parent company and are doing business under a different name to better appeal to the US market.

Is anyone familiar with this type of finish?

The claims are that it is much more durable than conventional finishes (UV, oil). More information about the finish can be found here: http://chinafloors.com/tl_files/upload/images/article/p0011_downloads/ad48.pdf

How much does brand matter?

How much does brand matter when buying a solid hardwood floor? I prefer going with a more reputable company but I really liked the look of these floors which seemed truly unique.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (7)

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

Chinese wood in your home? Are you nuts? Go with a reputable company like Bruce or Shaw if you want something safe and a company that at least attempts to be accountable to it's customers if an issue arises.

• glennsfc
    11 years ago

Some truly innovative and unique products are coming out of the Chinese industrial engine...no doubt about it. Many of our domestic flooring companies distribute products made in China...and many times you don't find that out until you receive the packages and discover the point of origin.

The "air dried" finish concept reminds me of wood finishing systems which impregnate the wood. I'll have to acquire a sample for testing.

I have always said that I believe in a better product wherever it is made. This product looks interesting and the company's mission statement indicates that they are committed to building a good product. I say: If it still looks good on second look, then go with the product.

I am suspicious of the OP's post however. No offense, but it does look like SPAM to me. Or is it just that you work with computer software and know how to use it well?

• kalbi1377
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL - it is not spam. I have been a lurker on this site for a while and am finally posting for the first time now that we are actually renovating our kitchen. Also, I am a web designer so I am familiar with HMTL. ;p

Thanks for the comments.

@hollysprings - I've read that some of Bruce's products actually come out of China. Also, Chinafloor is originally a Belgian company from what I've read and their oak is from Germany so they say.

@glennsfc - Your insights are really helpful. I have a sample of the Air Dried 48 from a local showroom and it is interesting. When you look at the sides you can see the difference between the cut ends that were made before and after finishing - quite like the "bark" vs the inside on a smoked hunk of meat. I don't know much about hardwood flooring but it makes the finish seem very deep into the surface of the wood.

If you'd like I can post photos of it - the finish is really beautiful in general and really stands out against the other samples I saw.

• glennsfc
    11 years ago

Yeah I knew from your very organized-looking post that you had some experience with web design; it is the most 'professional-looking' post I've ever seen on this site. Nice job!

If you get around to posting a pic, I'd like to see what you have there.

Your comment about oak going from Germany to China is right on the mark. Just yesterday my bother in law and his wife got back from Germany and he told me about the huge amounts of lumber being sustainably harvested from Germany's forests...very interesting.

• kalbi1377
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!

I've attached the photos as promised. Please note, the lighting is different in the shot of the top of the boards (taken outside) vs. shots of the cut edges.

• kalbi1377
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another photo taken inside.

• Alexander Baez
    3 years ago

@kalbi1377 Did you ever find a place to order these same floors? I have these in my recently purchased home and I'm look to extend existing floors.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES