Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wizard19_gw

Can a "raised foyer floor" be lowered?

wizard19
11 years ago

We are selling our home and had home inspection yesterday. Inspection went well, however, buyer has following request: We have a raised foyer floor when you walk in from the front entrance door. The floor is raised 7 inches from the DR on the left and FLR on the right and the family room straight ahead. The buyers want to lower the foyer floor to be even with the rest of the adjacent rooms. We just had travertine stone installed on it about two years ago, so I know it is a concrete base.

Does anyone have any ideas on whether this concrete can be "jack hammered" down? The size is 9' x 12'. I am sure there are some code issues with the the front entrance but I think that can be designed appropriately. I'm am not too concerned with the costs as buyer is willing to pay for it...I just need to see if it is feasible to do. The option period ends tomorrow so we are trying to get this resolved tonight or early tomorrow.

Thanks for any opinions!!!

Comments (7)

• wizard19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Weedy - Thanks for the input! Buyers backed out of the contract last night. Husband wanted the house, but the wife kept putting up different issues and just didn't want to move. I thought the foyer issue was a red herring as it turned out to be. I will keep this thread out here just in case someone runs into the same unusual request. thx

• sharita777
    4 years ago

If you get any answers to this red herring, please let me know. I’m definitely interested in considering the same foyer change.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

"If you get any answers to this red herring, please let me know. I’m definitely interested in considering the same foyer change."

8 years ago and the op appears to be gone since then so...........................

• PRO
    Marian S. Bennett, Realtor®
    last year

Keep this thread going. We just bought a house with a raised foyer (and dining room) and are interested in lowering both to be even with the rest of the house. Only those two areas are raised. Thank you!

• Denise Dietrich
    last year

We have the same entry. We had a contractor come look.

First the good news, It appears that the slab is not raised, only the foyer area was.

Now the bad. There are several items we have to take into consideration.

1.We already have 8' front doors. I have spoken with a custom cabinet person and it looks like we can add onto the top and the bottom of the doors without damaging the integrity of the door or taking away from the glass and iron inlays.

2. We will need to redo the concrete porch in the front. Currently there are 3 steps up to the landing. When the foyer is lowered we will only have 1 step then the landing.

3.This is the part that I am still working on. My staircase on one side ends on the left top part of the landing. Across from the base of the stairs (top right) is the door to my powder room. So, I am getting bids to move the powder room relocated and an extra turn put into the stairs.

• PRO
    Marian S. Bennett, Realtor®
    last year

Denise, the contractor came out and started the job. The platform Ed areas were raised after the house was built so the subfloors are already there. There are 3 doorways that need to be adjusted. The largest, a French door, was simply lifted out and replaced. The other two are next: a foyer closet and the front door. There is not even a cement step to remove since it was elevated and when returned to “normal” will be even with the porch. The framing is being replaced in all doors. Good luck with yours.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia