Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iris_bulb

Tile with backer-board - but NO mortar

iris_bulb
10 years ago

Hello,

My 2nd floor condo bathroom had carpeting in it with the small area around the toilet done in 8" square tiles. I want to preserve the tile-ing done around the toilet. I have ripped out the carpet and will be tiling the rest of the bathroom around the pre-existing tile. Okay so here's the thing:

I looked closely at the revealed cross-section of this tile work around the toilet. It rises 1/2" above the subfloor. It is done on backerboard, which is 1/4", and the tile itself is 1/4". So there appears to be no layer of mortar whatsoever - just backerboard and tile, with the grout between the tiles holding it down.

Okay fine, whatever. It seems stable enough and there are no cracks in it or anything. BUT...my tile that I'm about to lay obviously needs to come to the same height as the preexisting tile. I have some 1/4 backerboard, but I myself will also have to forego the thinset mortar if I want to have the new tilework level with the old. Option two: I can put on a nice layer of mortar directly onto the subfloor (which is covered in old vinyl, which I would score) to achieve the level height and forego the backerboard altogether.

Tough decision. I suppose a third option would be to put down the backerboard and then backbutter a very, very thin layer of mortar onto each tile just so it will have a slight bit of adhesion to the backerboard in its own right. Thoughts?

This post was edited by iris_bulb on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 17:15

Comments (7)

• MelissaRDH
    10 years ago

Take out the existing tile since no mortar is used it should come off easy enough, Then just chisel the mortar and sand it off and lay it right along with the new?

• User
    10 years ago

Yes, remove it all and install it correctly. That's such a small spot that there is no reason to keep the shortcut. Just because it hasn't failed yet doesn't mean that won't happen.

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Pull the toilet (shut the water off first, of course! There are instructions online on how to drain and sponge the toilet so it doesn't drip water when you remove it, and how to put some rags or plastic bags in the sewer pipe.) Look at the toilet plumbing in the floor and see how the tile fits under it and see if you can fit backer, tile and mortar below the attachment point of the toilet... I am thinking there may have been a reason for the previous tile shortcut, and it might have to do with not wanting to re-plumb the toilet waste pipe. If it looks like you can fit a new install with the addition of a thin layer of mortar, I'd remove the tiles around the toilet and the old backerboard. Then lay all new backerboard so your substrate is all the same height, mortar and tile as normal.

• iris_bulb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much, guys.

I've decided to remove the toilet and rip out the existing tile, then re-tile the whole bathroom properly with mortar using all new tiles. I had originally wanted to preserve the old tile-work around the toilet because I didn't want to go to the hassle of having to remove the toilet, demo the tile, cut new tile, etc. But I'm going to commit to it, and the room will look so much better with all the same tiles - rather than tiles that "almost" match the pre-existing tile-work.

(I think the reason that they didn't use mortar was to keep the finished height at 1/2" so that they'd be able to go under the electric baseboard heater, which is only about 5/8" above the subfloor. I've decided I'm just going to run the tile right up to it, but not go under it - because I simply can't, if I do the tile-work correctly.: it would be too tall to go under the bottom of the heater.)

Thanks again.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

It is possible to accommodate a flange height problem, too high or too low relative to the floor.

Could you raise the baseboard heater so you can finish the whole floor nicely? I would look into that and stop the covering of problems. Just get it done right, once and for all. It will probably look better now and changes down the road won't be a problem.

• iris_bulb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well my assumption was that it would be very difficult to detach and raise the baseboard heater and that's why they didn't do that originally. Not sure though. I need to research this issue and find out how to do it.
    But yeah, I eyeballed the area and it definitely would not look good to have the tiles simply run up against the bottom of the heater. Not acceptable - and possibly not safe!
    I will get it done correctly, thank you.

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

You can also use Ditra instead of cement board as an underlayment. It's easier to lay and thinner too.