Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a tool for this????

Posted by kabir (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 16:03

I bought a 4100 sq ft house in need of a major remodel. There is 1200 sq ft of 18 year old tile on the first floor. Is there a tool I can rent or buy to rip this Sh**load of tile which will make my life easier.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a tool for this????

What kind of tile?

o

ceramic porcelain 12x12 with no backer board(can you believe it!!)

o

Electric chisel. Like a mini jackhammer.

o

If you figgure you aren't doing it daily as a professional, Harbor Freight will sell you a Rotary Hammer/Chipper for under a hunnerd bucks. Get the 2" chisel tool to go with it and a pair of gloves and go for it....

o

We have a guy in our town who has some kind of machine that looks like a pallet lifter, but smaller scale and had a large chisel in the front. We paid him a few hundred dollars and pulled up about 2,000 square ft of ooooold ceramic tile in the main part of the house. I think his company was called Speedy Floors or something like that. Someone in your town may have a similar machine.

o

Floor stripper or tile stripper.

o

I have a question on this subject, once the ceramic tile is removed, what preparation will be needed in order to put down laminate flooring? I too, have that tile (18 yrs old) that's so outdated and I'm ready to have it taken out! I understand that this is a very, messy job and dust gets into everything,,,not looking forward to that day.

o

" I understand that this is a very, messy job and dust gets into everything"

Seal of the area (heavy plastic and tape) and block HVAC vents in the room with cardboard taped to the wall.

It would be better to turn off the HVAC if possible.

Use CleanStream filters on the shop vac when cleaning up.
Purchase two filters so that when one clogs you can remove it, wash it, install the second filter, and wait for the first filter to dry.

A larger shop vac on wheels is a good idea.
They are easier to move around.

Empty it BEFORE it becomes so heavy you cannot lift it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here