Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laminate vs. Engineered Hardwood?

Posted by wittybetty (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 15:47

Hi folks. First post here, and I need help trying to decide between laminate and engineered hardwood.

I'm building a semi-custom tract home in a nice, middle-class, but not high end, neighborhood. The main floor of the house is about 780 sq. feet and is one great big space for kitchen, dining and living room. I love how open it is, but I really think to make the space cohesive and seem larger, it needs one type of flooring with artfully placed area rugs. I live in a dry climate where it's quite hot in the summer and very cold in the winter.

When I went to my "browse appointment" at my builder's design center, I discovered that their pricing for "hardwood" was really just engineered wood until some super high grade of the hardwood pricing that I cannot afford.

I've read many many threads on why folks like or dislike laminate etc. I lean toward the engineered hardwood--so long as it will give off the cozy, warm vibe of wood that I enjoyed in a house I used to have with solid hardwood.

In just my quick browse, I noticed that I didn't like anything, generally, in laminate below my builder's "Grade 5" pricing, which is roughly the same as my builder's Grade 2 engineered hardwood. So I'm trying to decide which I should go with. It's just me and one kiddo--no animals. I'm trying to create a snug sanctuary for me and the kiddo to slow down from our overly busy lives outside the house. So the "feel" of a place is important to me. I intend to keep this house at least until kiddo goes to college (9 or so years). I am considering resale in all of my decisions, naturally, but I really need this house to be a place for us--not a place for some distant future potential purchaser.

Also--random--I'm turning the extra bedroom upstairs into a mini-sewing studio for me. I despise having a sewing room on carpet (ask me how many needs and pins you find in the most painful way possible!). So I was thinking of having whatever I install downstairs in just that one room upstairs with carpet in the hall and bedrooms and tile in the bathrooms upstairs. Thoughts? Will that be too strange for resale?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laminate vs. Engineered Hardwood?

my cousin recently built a house. This is one area where it made sense to not pay the builder upcharge. They had the builder put in the cheapest carpet available, and then hired their own contractor to rip it out and put in hardwood flooring before they moved in. More choices, and cheaper. I think the builder even bought the carpet back from them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here