Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
campfiregal61

Not sure what to do with patch hardwood floor

campfiregal61
9 years ago

We need some help. My husband and I did a kitchen renovation that included removing a kitchen island that left a part of our floor without wood. We had the floors put in 12 years ago and sanded and refinished 2 years ago. My husband wanted to try and do the patch job himself. He got the same wood (select red oak) and put it down. Then yesterday he rented a sander and sanded the area. The man that did the floors two years ago left us some stain which my husband put down. But as you can see from the picture there must've been something wet on the floor because there's dark spots. My first question is do we need to totally re sand again before we can put more stain on? And also the flooring guy told me he used glitsa multikote in satin. How do I get this? Please any suggestions would really be appreciated!

Comments (5)

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

Just want make sure im looking at the correct spot. Is the lighter spot the area youre husband patched and staind?

A number of things can cause the shade difference. For example if you finished your sanding sequence with a different grit than the pro used you can get a color difference.

Did your floor pro water pop the floor before staining ? That would also cause the difference.

You have some blotchy darker spots in the area.

Its best to find those answers first and then i would resand your patch and start fresh.

As far as the glista product, ask youre floor guy if you can buy some from him. Or you could find a hardwood distributor or try online for the finish.

• campfiregal61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, thanks, yes the large area of lighter stain is the patch my husband did with one coat of stain. He used an orbital sander. My floor guy used something else and I'm sure he finished up with different grit. I just don't know why it is so light. And if you can zoom in on the picture there are 3 issues of concerns 1. Overall too light. 2.dark blotch area, 3. Dark small circles closer to cabinet (possibly water?). So you are saying the only option is to sand all the way down again? To get a bare floor? And then should I water pop? No my floor guy did not water pop. And as far as the glitsa, is this available to a "lay" person? Thanks. I honestly did not think this would be such a problem!!!

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

Your pro probably finished with a 100g maybe 120. But he didnt use an oribital.

Resand the area back to barewood and besure that no water or anything touches the floor before staining. Especially sweat.

If you can grab a piece of 100g sand paper and before you apply stain. Hand sand the area with that paper. Orbitals sanding and pro sanding do different things.

Then i would stain just a small area and see if its close enough to a match. If not then resand and try water popping the area. That may do it. Its better to have it be a tad off then way off. You likely wont get it perfect. Age is a factor even though its only been a couple yrs.

If you go to a hw distributor you might get some flack but if your pro floor guy wint sell it to you then go online. Theres no special permits or licenses you need in order to purchase or use it.

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

Good answers!

• campfiregal61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help!! We have to go out of town for a few days will work on it when we return and post follow ups, thanks for the help!!