Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

What's a good floor material for unheated sunroom?

2ajsmama
14 years ago

My parents are replacing all the old jaluousie (sp?) windows in their sunroom today, putting vinyl "beadboard" on the ceiling, had planned on laminate (same as kitchen) for the floor but were just told can't put that in unheated space. DH just tore out their 35-yr old glued-down carpet tiles. Plywood subfloor (scraped relatively clean but still may be a little lumpy). Open underneath, no insulation. Probably not stiff enough for tile (and my mom doesn't want anything that hard and cold since the grandkids play there half the year). I was thinking when they have their deck redone next year, use the same material inside the sunroom? I hope to talk them into cedar or ipe - can those be ripped down to about 1" thick so they won't be above sliding glass door tracks, will they be stable that thin?

I tried telling mom yesterday to make sure they allow for finished floor when they install the doors today, but she just said "the doors will go where they have to go" (pretty low ceiling, 7'6" or 7'9").

Comments (3)