Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's a good floor material for unheated sunroom?

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 10, 09 at 14:27

My parents are replacing all the old jaluousie (sp?) windows in their sunroom today, putting vinyl "beadboard" on the ceiling, had planned on laminate (same as kitchen) for the floor but were just told can't put that in unheated space. DH just tore out their 35-yr old glued-down carpet tiles. Plywood subfloor (scraped relatively clean but still may be a little lumpy). Open underneath, no insulation. Probably not stiff enough for tile (and my mom doesn't want anything that hard and cold since the grandkids play there half the year). I was thinking when they have their deck redone next year, use the same material inside the sunroom? I hope to talk them into cedar or ipe - can those be ripped down to about 1" thick so they won't be above sliding glass door tracks, will they be stable that thin?

I tried telling mom yesterday to make sure they allow for finished floor when they install the doors today, but she just said "the doors will go where they have to go" (pretty low ceiling, 7'6" or 7'9").

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's a good floor material for unheated sunroom?

This is so funny....just today I posted this identical thread on a flooring forum! Interesting suggestions so far too!

Here is a link that might be useful: flooring forum

o

Sounds like some sort of tongue and groove wood flooring would be the way to go.

o

Oops, sorry, I saw your thread title on this forum, didn't realize it was for a sunroom.

After I posted I started thinking about cork? My great-aunt had a cork kitchen floor for decades...

I don't know about the typical 3/4" T&G (prefinished?) flooring, if that's what you're thinking about. I would think with the temp and humidity swings (well below freezing in winter, up in 90's and humid in summer) that a wood floor you would normally use inside would check, buckle, split. That's why I started off with suggestion of decking type wood?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here