Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best medium stain for white oak?

Posted by clarabelled (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 14:27

Hi everyone,
I need to pick a stain for my white oak floor ASAP and I am hoping for a medium tone without any red in it. We will use a duraseal stain and I am thinking of sampling provincial, special walnut and a 50/50 dark walnut special walnut blend. Has anyone used these with good or not so good results? Or are there other stains I should consider? As with everything this needs to happen immediately so I would appreciate any and all feedback! This floor will be in the entire first floor including the kitchen. Thanks so much for your help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best medium stain for white oak?

My favorite is DuraSeal Chestnut.

o
RE: Best medium stain for white oak?

Chestnut is good but does have a bit of red. Chestnut is actually my favorite next to nutmeg. the special walnut does have some red. I guess it depends on how much red your willing to live with.
Have you looked at any colors directly on the floor? The color chart that duraseal has is on red oak samples and really doesnt do justice when trying to pick colors.
If you want absolutely no red. Then i suggest medium brown. Or golden brown. Both are very good colors that dont have red. If they turn out too dark.

Try mixing some neutral stain to lighten them up.

Be advised whiteoak contains Tannins. Which can make staining difficult.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here