Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clarabelled

Best medium stain for white oak?

clarabelled
10 years ago

Hi everyone,
I need to pick a stain for my white oak floor ASAP and I am hoping for a medium tone without any red in it. We will use a duraseal stain and I am thinking of sampling provincial, special walnut and a 50/50 dark walnut special walnut blend. Has anyone used these with good or not so good results? Or are there other stains I should consider? As with everything this needs to happen immediately so I would appreciate any and all feedback! This floor will be in the entire first floor including the kitchen. Thanks so much for your help!!

Comments (2)

• jfcwood
    10 years ago

My favorite is DuraSeal Chestnut.

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Chestnut is good but does have a bit of red. Chestnut is actually my favorite next to nutmeg. the special walnut does have some red. I guess it depends on how much red your willing to live with.
    Have you looked at any colors directly on the floor? The color chart that duraseal has is on red oak samples and really doesnt do justice when trying to pick colors.
    If you want absolutely no red. Then i suggest medium brown. Or golden brown. Both are very good colors that dont have red. If they turn out too dark.

Try mixing some neutral stain to lighten them up.

Be advised whiteoak contains Tannins. Which can make staining difficult.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler