Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swentastic81

Show me your White Pallmann Magic Oil 2k

In light of the fact that our hickory floors were not at all what I was expecting, we're now toying with a couple different finish options. As I've mentioned in previous posts, we were expecting 100% blonde hickory which I now realize is nearly impossible. We move forward.

The floors that have been installed are gorgeous exactly the way they are, and I'm worried that if we just put a neutral sealer on there, it will only increase the contrast in colors and really make the room feel busy. This is why we're considering the whitewash, to still see some of the graining but tone down some of the patterns in the wood. I'd hate it to look like a circus.

I've definitely decided on Pallmann Magic Oil - the question is whether to go with natural or whitewash. Since this is a relatively new product, I'm having a hard time finding pictures of entire rooms/floors that are done in the white. Has anyone used this? Can you please post some pictures of before/after with the whitewash? Do you love it? Hate it? Compliments? Scowls? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• ialm9
    8 years ago

I'm thinking about putting Pallmann Magic Oil on Hickory, like you. Is that what you ended up doing? Do you have any pictures of the finished floor? Thanks!

• Swentastic Swenson
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi ialm9 - we did go with Pallman and honestly the jury is still out.

I will say I 100% LOVE the look of them - they're soft and matte and beautiful. The only thing I'm not so crazy about is the lack of protection from spills and wet feet - in the kitchen it's somewhat of a problem but the rugs have been a big help. I'm not sure if our floor guy didn't put enough product on and they just need another coat, or if this is a flaw in the product itself. I might suggest you get a sample of your hickory and apply some of the oil and then test and abuse it.

Here are a couple pics of the floor as it is now. These three are the highest traffic areas in the house and I think they've done pretty well considering. This is after 2 years of abuse. They're vacuumed once a week at most and I use Pallman's floor cleaner on them about once a month.

There are a couple permanent stains but they've lightened up greatly over time. The first is under the fridge door in the kitchen where the water dispenser was dripping and the second is in the bedroom by the patio door where I'm sure some wet dog came in and dripped on the floor.

I won't go back to poly but I'm not totally sold on the magic oil, either. We don't have kids yet but I'm sure that'll be the real test. The nice thing about the magic oil is that it can be spot-repaired without sanding the whole house, it's move-in ready in a few hours, and there was virtually no odor when they were done.

Something else worth noting - the color variation between the planks has definitely mellowed out over time. The darker wood gets lighter, and the lighter wood gets darker. It looks like a bit of a circus at first but don't worry. And the more natural sunlight a room gets, the more quickly the colors seem to even out.

Good luck with your decision - I'd love to see your floors when they're done!

• ialm9
    8 years ago

Thank you, your floors are beautiful.

• PRO
    Apple Equities, LLC
    3 years ago

Did you end up going natural or white or both?