Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Current deals - who wins - Home Depot or Lowes?

Posted by karyn (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 13:01

We're looking for about $1000 worth of carpet, pad, installed.

HD has a free pad upgrade over $1000.

Not sure what costs are of installation any more. HD used to be like $39. Lowes is like $100 or something.

Anyone know of any other current deals out there between these two, all-in-one big box stores?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Current deals - who wins - Home Depot or Lowes?

They both subcontract out their business to local companies. I'd take the quote to some other store and see what they offer.

o

NEVER use either one. Look to a real flooring store.

o

I've had carpet installed by Lowe's several times, with good results. I don't know why hollysprings is so against them.

Deals actually vary by local market. The "$99 whole house install" deals tend to happen in an area when one store does it, the other matches it. It's not universal/nationwide.

o

Thanks,

Looks like HD wins in this case due to the free pad upgrade then.

No reason to hate big box stores, they sell inexpensively and do just fine in my experience. The"real" flooring stores can't compete and usually come in about double in cost. Though I just did spend $15K in wood flooring in a "real" store only because the big box guys couldn't get the product we wanted.

If I were just a little more patient and willing to hire subs, I'd buy my own materials online and hire an installer myself and cut out all the middlemen and taxes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here