Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnmomof2

LVT warranty and replacement suggestions

RNmomof2 zone 5
9 years ago

A few years ago I did a minor kitchen facelift. At that time we installed a new floor in the kitchen, laundry room, guest bath and back entry/pantry area. The product was a LVT product with a lifetime residential warranty. Over time the product has faded from light tan/taupe to nearly white in front of our low E glass sliding doors.

The company is going to replace our floor for us but.......this opens all kinds of issues. I believe we will be responsible for the expenses of getting everything ready for the floor to be installed. Toilets pulled, baseboards up, island out of the kitchen, etc. Do you think we have any hope of getting $$ for these items. This floor was also installed over the sheet vinyl. I thought that I had been told that one should only have 2 layers of flooring down. Does the manufacturer pay to have both layers removed?

The salesperson said it was the easiest warranty replacement he has ever had. This all sounds good but I do not know what to replace it with. Other than the color fading the product has held up beautifully. Our house is the most expensive one in the neighborhood per Zillow by a fair amount (15% or so). I do not want ceramic tile as I have bad joints and live in a colder climate. We have no hardwoods in our house and not many houses in our neighborhood do. The houses are 17-25 years old and are slowly being sold and updated by new owners. Granite and hardwoods are going in some of them now. Any thoughts on products that won't fade (!?) and are durable enough to last without being babied?

I was told initially that I did not have to use the manufacturer's product when replacing the floor so that is not a consideration. I also posted this in Home Decorating with minimal response so far.

Comments (6)

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

The manufacturer will give you new product. That's it. All labor for anything will be on you.

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

Manufacturers will cover typical labor charges for your area, as well as the cost of new material. Any additional labor and materials to provide for a suitable substrate may be on you. Warranty experiences vary.

• loves2read
    9 years ago

Would you risk going through the same fading issue in few years if you replace with this mfg's product?
    Personally while hardwood is more resilient than ceramic tile I wouldn't choose it for kitchen or other "wet" areas...although I know people put it in kitchens all the time...

We have Florida vacation house with Antico LVT in open living areas and master bed/bath--have covered patio around three sides w/no fading and area facing front windows shows none either...
    maybe yours was bad batch???

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am afraid of the potential for fading with another product also. The thing about this whole ordeal is that we had contractors available when this was installed to move appliances, remove trimmer and island, etc. Now I need to find someone for a small job and incur expenses because their product didn't hold up. When I purchased this floor I did not plan on replacing it ever!

This area has 3 doors from outside opening on to it. We live in the Midwest where we get largest amounts of snow. I can't see having g to mop up water whenever someone comes in if we put down hardwood.

Suggestions for brands? I thought Amtico was softer and needed Tlc from chair legs?

• loves2read
    9 years ago

One style of Amtico that looks like a cherry finish--reddish w/some yellow/brown--is in main living/dining area--
    we have not noticed any dents under the chair legs in the dining area--
    have a thin cotton rug in other living area where we spend most time--haven't seen any impressions when rug is moved for cleaning...

We are in FL so snow is not an issue but like I said we have pool and sometimes come in when still wet...
    also have it in master bath -- some water comes out of shower when we open door--maybe gets on floor vs the latex backed rug--
    no issues in two years we have been staying here (off and on for 4-6 weeks at time)...
    I would have ordered Amtico again but the style I wanted isn't made and other styles were too dark for us...
    Think we are getting a Bella Cera brand Rome style in Driftwood--sort of a natural/rustic look...a little more yellow than I would like really but don't want a gray floor either...
    Might try some other brands but woman at the flooring company that did original install was so nice to try to help me with replacement in master bath that would prefer to give her the job if we can...

• loves2read
    9 years ago

what did you decide to do about replacing that LVT?