Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's "Technical Porcelain"?

Posted by AHMIowa_NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 11:26

Greetings,

I'm trying to finalize the tile flooring for a Master Bath remodel, and in looking at different manufacturers, Some of them are using the phrase "Technical Porcelain Floor" vs. just calling them porcelain tiles. Does anyone have a clue what that means, or if it's different than just a porcelain tile? A quick Google search hasn't turned up anything obvious.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's "Technical Porcelain"?

Here are some tips for you http://www.fastfifa14.com and if you think it's useful please share it with your frieds.TKS :)

o

Sounds like BS to me. There are only two types of porcelain...."Face Porcelain" or "Full Body"

The first only has the design on the face...the second has the colour completely thru the material, so that if you need to cut or bullnose it, the colour is consistent.

o

Thanks, StoneTech - I suspected it was some kind of "Marketing-Speak". It's on a bunch of the Porcelanosa materials.

I appreciate the distinction!

o

Maybe it's their term for "rectified' porcelain; the kind that has been milled perfectly square to allow narrower grout lines.
Casey

o

Can you post a link for the Mfg. of that product? I'm doing some looking into it for you......

o

Thanks Casey & Stoneking - it could just be some fancy term indicating their "best" porcelain, or rectified products.

The term is used a lot on the Porcelanosa site - describing their "Urbatek" line - http://www.porcelanosa.com/gb/floor-tiles/urbatek-through-body-porcelain.php

They do have another page of "Porcelain Floor Tiles", but it includes the above tiles as well as others... so I guess that confirms that the "Technical Porcelain Floor" products are porcelain. Again, could just be marketing-speak.

Found the term at another site as well: http://www.canaroma.ca/brand-fiandre-tiles.php. They are a Canadian tile retailer - the term is used to describe their "Fiandre" lines of floor tiles. Interesting, they also carry Porcelanosa tiles...

I can't seem to find the term more broadly used.

It's probably not worth a lot of time, but I did just think it was odd...

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcelanosa Urbatek Products

o

I started a discussion on this at JB Forums in the "Pro's Hangout" and got some interesting responses. Apparently, some companies do make a product that is a little more "green friendly" (whatever that means) uses some different compounds, etc.

I don't see a lot of advantages here for the average homeowner though. More $ for the Company, I guess.

There was a lot of "Tech Speak" I won't bore you with, but distilled down, you get-

Technical Porcelain
Porcelain tile that has been fired even more to have an absorption of 0.1% or less is often referred to as a “technical” porcelain.These products tend to be expensive due to the increased energy requirements to produce them. Technical porcelains are used in environments where stain resistance is critical.

o

Thank you, StoneTech! I don't know that I need the extra heavy-duty porcelain, but I appreciate knowing that it IS indeed porcelain, and if anything, a better quality product. Now, I just have to figure out what I want the bathroom to look like.. :)

o

Don't pay more for this...unless you are making porcelean tooth coverings or space shuttle tiles.......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here