Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutback Adhesive Advice

Posted by BigDubbleU (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 11:26

I've looked at some of the other topics referring to cutback, but as a complete novice when it comes to flooring, and the potential seriousness of the contents of the cutback, I'm hoping for some guidance on how to proceed with laying flooring over it.

I recently removed vinyl tile from the basement of the home I just moved into (the house was built in 1982). Upon removing them from the portion of the floor that had them, I read about how there is asbestos in the residue and the backing of the tiles. My wife and I had previously purchased and intend on installing a tongue and groove wood laminate floor in over the concrete slab on which these tiles were removed. Do I need to remove the cutback, or can I simply place down the vapor barrier that I purchased with the flooring and install the laminate over it? The floor is level as it sits now.

I know that if this was, indeed, asbestos, then it can only be hazardous if disturbed, so will the barrier and flooring be enough to keep the residual glue from becoming an airborne problem? As it is, I'm terrified that I could have put my family at risk in removing the tiles with no knowledge that there was asbestos in the glue.

Additionally, what is the best way to clean the floor without creating hazardous dust? There is a significant amount of dirt on the floor, and I know that wet cleanup is recommended. Any specific recommendations?

All advice is tremendously appreciated.

Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutback Adhesive Advice

Just put down the vapor barrier and your new laminate floor. There is very little (if any) asbestos in the glue, and you're "encapsulating" it. If you were to GRIND it, it's possible that you would put dust in the air....even then, a dust mask should do the trick.

Too many people stress over asbestos. Unless it's the loose stuff covering old pipes, there really isn't much room for concern. For it to affect you, you would need constant exposure for years...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here