Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laminate flooring thickness - is thicker worth the extra $$?

Posted by t-mac-mo (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 2, 08 at 11:24

We have found a good deal online for a floor that we like. We have a choice between a 14mm AC5 wear rating, and a 10mm AC3.

The 14mm is about 30% higher cost, and budget is an issue in our build. Is it really worth the extra money? THis will be a residential installation, basically just DH and I plus the dog. No heavy traffic, etc.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laminate flooring thickness - is thicker worth the extra $$?

With the info you have given, I can tell you that the 14mm is a better product than the 10mm because of the AC5 wear rating.

Can I assure you the 14mm AC5 will be a better laminate for you....NO. You will not know UNTIL after the floor is installed and you have a few months wear & tear on it. BUT I CAN tell you that from the AC rating you should get better wear from the AC5 than the AC3.

Each AC# higher than 1 translates into appromixtly 60% heavier wear layer. The AC3 should be safe for any residential area. The AC5 is considered safe for commercial settings.

GoodLuck

o

Thanks, al horses. One thing in particular that I wondered is if the extra 4mm thickness would make a noticeable difference, in feel, sound, etc., that would be so much better to make it worth the extra 30%.

Thanks for your input.

o

The extra 4mm will make some difference in feel. The sound issue is controlled mostly by your underlayment. Those open_cell underlayments (they are called 2-in-1) are nothing more than junk, so stay away from those. Research underlayments and find one that is closed-cell and research the ones with sound muffling qualities. Your going to spend more for the better underlayment... however, in the long run you will be much happier with the way your floor sounds when you walk on it. Good Luck.

o

THanks, that is very helpful.

-t

o

THanks, that is very helpful.

-t

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here