Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First post - Need advice

Posted by VicTx2012 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 11:18

I am thinking of installing engineered wood in my house in Houston,TX. It has to be engineered wood because of humidity. I want to go with either Brazilian Cherry or Santos Mahogany - the color of which MUST compliment / match the color of my existing red oak flooring downstairs.

This flooring will go on second floor where I have Berber carpet on plywood. The staircases and the trims will (including risers and treads) will have the same wood.

I planning to give the work to a flooring company which will provide me the wood, all the accessories - glues,trims, staircase nose etc. and the labor

I NEED your help in

0) Deciding the brand. I am thinking of going with either Johnson or Mannington 5" plank.

1) Calculating the cost of complete installation (excluding staircase) using a 5 mm thick APC cork underlayment which will be glued to plywood and wood will be glued to the cork. Approx. area including 7 % wastage is 1405 Sq Ft.

1.1) How much shall I pay for leveling the the surface since my house is 11 years old and at few places it may have some tips. I know it is hard to guess unless we take out the carpet BUT for estimating how much should it cost? What kind of leveling cement will you use?

2)Calculating cost for the complete installation on the stair case including risers. The stair case has 15 steps (including 2 large landing areas due to curvature of the staircase).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First post - Need advice

You need to get quotes from several local flooring stores and compare them, but you also need to re-examine your specs for the job. Some of them are incorrect and a waste of money.

What's wrong with using red oak upstairs. It will be much more cohesive than using an exotic would. The graining pattern in the oak will also be much more forgiving to live with as far as maintenance than the closed smooth grain of either of your choices, especially if you choose a gloss finish.

Glue down is for concrete, not a second floor with a wood subfloor. That's a naildown situation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here