Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
waxed concrete floor and pet urine

Posted by casolorz (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 11:16

We have acid stained concrete floors with a few coats of an acrylic sealant on top and then a few coats of wax.

Our cat has decided that floor will make a good place to pee on, not sure why yet, still trying to figure that out. Anyways, I've read and read about cleaning the waxed floor and the recommendation is usually to use water, but really, we are talking about cat urine here, I would like to use something a bit stronger.

Are there any cleaners I could use that won't damage the wax?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: waxed concrete floor and pet urine

Use an ezymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle to clean the urine. Yes, it will remove the wax, but the wax should be removed. Stained concrete floors were traditionally finished with wax only, no acrylic. Or they are finished today with acrylic only, no wax. This "hybrid" using the two does not increase the protection. It actually makes upkeep worse. Strip off the wax, and if you haven't used any oil type cleaners on it, it may be possible to have an additional layer of acrylic polyurethane applied when the floors become a bit dulled by use. But, the acrylic poly is all the protection against urine that your floor should need.

In addition, take your cat to the vet. Inappropriate elimination is caused by a bladder infection around 80% of the time. If not addressed, the problem can become one ingrained by habit even after the infection clears up. Environmental stressors such as moving can also contribute to both an infection and behavioral issues.

o
RE: waxed concrete floor and pet urine

Hollysprings, thank you for the reply.

We added wax on top of the acrylic sealant because it wasn't glossy enough, the wax did the trick.

As for the cat, yeah we are aware of the possible issues, he has had already two surgeries because of his constant urinary tract infections and inflammations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here