Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flooring over a concrete slab foundation

Posted by paul21 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 11:11

We are about to build a new cottage that will have a slab on grade with 4 foot frost walls . The problem I have is trying to get info on how to install hardwood floors over the slab and marrying them to the tile that will cover the kitchen and other areas on that level such as the bathroom and utility room which will also be tiled . So far I've been told to use those 2' X 2' underlayment " tiles" with the vapor barrier on one side , or use a sub-floor i.e. 2x4 , insulation in between and plywood on top and then the hardwood on top . No suggestions for the ceramic tile areas other than to build up the slab in those areas .

I would like to think that there is a simpler way . Any thoughts ? Also we are in Nova Scotia , where the temperature varies from 0 F to 90 F and there would be periods of time in the winter when the cottage would be unheated .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flooring over a concrete slab foundation

3/8" gluedown engineered will meet up with tile almost level. It's all that's done here where we regularly have 95% humidity mornings.

o
RE: flooring over a concrete slab foundation

Thanks , we considered that but had two concerns . First , given that it's a cottage , there will be times when the whole system , heat, water, etc will be shut down , mostly in the winter and we were afraid that the expansion and contraction associated with that could affect a glued down floor also , again because as a cottage , people will be in and out a lot , there could be a fair degree of wear that would mean re-finishing which , as I understand , is a problem with engineered flooring .

I was hoping tha there was a new application process for hardwood that I didn't know about such as a sheet underlay with a plywood overlay or something like that .
If not , we may have to consider tile throughout .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here