Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llcp93

Portstone imitation brick: Anyone used it?

llcp93
13 years ago

I am considering this product in several applications. The first being a master bath (and closet)flooring and shower walls, instead of tile.

Of coarse, my mind starts running and I'm thinking, all the other places I could use it.

I really love the look of brick inside a house, and when we built 12 years ago, I just could not afford to put it indoors with all the other 'not easily, econimically replaced' upgrades. Plus, while I love my pinkish brick exterior, it would be so boring indoors.

I'm also wondering about cost. The closests place to me is over an hour drive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Portstone

Comments (17)

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

I was going to use it in my kitchen--until I found an original 1800s brick chimney behind a cabinet that will now be part of the design. Now--too much brick, and also the Portstone doesn't look the same as the real stuff when they are side by side, I think because of the shine more than anything. I did order a sample from them ($25, but worth it as I had no dealer within 3 hours or more), they are nice as can be about answering questions too. I think you can order directly from them if the dealer is too far.

I believe last fall when I asked, the prices were somewhere between $4.50-6.50 sq/ft depending on the size of the paver. It was definitely cheaper than the real brick pavers (over $8 sq/ft). I really liked the product, just didn't work for me style-wise in the end.

• llcp93
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Honey
    The closest dealer is 90 miles away. I may go up and look at their samples, as they have also done the sidewalk outside their store, in the color and size I am thinking of. I do love the look of real brick, natural stone, and wood. For me and my application though, it is going over existing slab (closet/bath floor) and front walk/porch and back porch. It needs to be thin, like a tile.
    I just called and a recording told me that the number was not accepting incoming calls. Weird.
    The store closest to me quoted 9.99sf installed or $8 cash and carry. I have emailed for a quote + shipping.

• rjdworth_olp_net
    12 years ago

Don't use it. It is fragle and breaks easy. I called to ask questions about the installation process and described in detail what I was up against. They said " oh you should not have any problems". Kinda tells me they don't understand alot about flooring. Their poor advise cost me $1000. I had to remove the floor two day after it was set because it would not stick to my slab. When I called them about my sitiation they said to bad, so sad. CAUTION, CAUTION,CAUTION, stay away from this product and this company.

• ghostlyvision
    12 years ago

Mr. Manor,

I hope your post does not get deleted, considering the claims the poster made against your product and customer service, I think a rebuttal is only fair and definitely warranted.

BTW, I looked around your site (never having heard of your flooring before this thread), great looking floors, I'd love to have it in my kitchen (if I can talk my husband into that DIY project. lol).

• megan_mullins_comcast_net
    12 years ago

Mr. Manor,

I too hope that your post does not get deleted.

The situation that rjdworth finds himself in is indeed very unfortunate. However, throwing a public tantrum to tarnish the reputation of a company known for excellent customer service is juvenile.

If anything, your prompt, polite response to his tirade has convinced me to use your product for my kitchen remodel. I have been researching this product but have been concerned about the fact that there are not any local vendors. Dear hubby and I will have to drive.

However, if your customer service is as prompt and considerate as your forum posts, I will feel much better about calling for help if I run into any problems.

Kudos on your youtube videos, btw! They were very fun to watch and illustrated the installation process well enough for even this novice do-it-yourselfer to understand.

-M in Savannah, GA.

• Lenora6262
    10 years ago

Anyone on the MS gulf coast used Portstone imitation brick? I have to place kitchen flooring in a retirement home I'm buying and wonder how well it actually holds up so far as looks over several years. Also very, very big concern that no post addressed..how does it feel under foot. I don't want to actually feel like I'm on very uneven hard surface. Some styles look fairly smooth on their site and I love the way it looks online.

• KimBBPhillips
    10 years ago

We have installed this product in a small bathroom on the floor, shower floor, shower walls and shower ceiling. The installer was amazed at the product and we were knocked out after the installation. We visited a friend in Texas who installed over 10,000 square feet of it and it was the first time we saw it in person. It is a beautiful product. Today I sealed the tile. I wish the sealer wasn't so glossy but it is absolutely beautiful. Dennis has been very helpful since we live in coastal SC and only dealer is 2 hours away. He sold us everything we needed to install the tile. The picture I am attaching is after the sealer but before we installed the fixtures. I will post again when the entire room is finished.

• woodsycat
    9 years ago

I am wondering if anyone has any more pictures of installed Portstone willing to share. Zookeper93, KimBBPhillips, anyone else? I am also considering using it and would appreciate additional information. Thanks in advance.

• Marta Nelson
    8 years ago

I have just put the Portstone on my kitchen floor. It is beautiful! We had to order it as we live in California and there are no dealers in our state. It was worth the shipping cost and the wait as our Portstone was made just for us! It is definitely my favorite part of my kitchen! Thank you Portstone!

• PRO
    Simply Staging by Sara
    6 years ago

We husband installed Portstone flooring ourselves in our kitchen remodel. We loved the product! Customer service was excellent and they walked us through the installation process. Click here to see some before and afters of the installation and our final pics! We would definitely recommend this product.

https://www.simplystagingbysara.com/blog/2017/2/2/the-eyes-to-see-the-kitchen

• PRO
    Houses by TED
    6 years ago

Husband & I installed Portstone in our kitchen, breakfast area and laundry. It is not much different than installing tile. It is thin, so be careful not to step or kneel on it while installing. We get tons of compliments on our floor and we love it. I wish the Portstone web site would give specific recommendations as to what "Portstone Approved Floor Finish" we should use though.

• Anna
    4 years ago

I am building a new house and thinking to put Portstone floor in the sunroom.
    And maybe kitchen backsplash. It is warm and pretty. I had a quote today
    $7.59 installed plus a little extra for grout and sealing. I will ask them
    Not to make it as shiny to look more realistic. I imagine it will look nice in a foyer. I think you have to use certain carpet pads so it will not leave marks

• PRO
    Houses by TED
    4 years ago

Hi Anna! Our sealer by choice was Zep. It has worked very good for us over the past 5 years. You are correct about rug pads. We also have this flooring in an office and the mats we put down for the rolling office chairs have lifted the color right off the brick. So, be careful as to what mats you put down. All in all, we are happy. Best of luck to you with your new house! Be sure to post pictures of the floor.

• Anna
    4 years ago

Thanks Ted for the sealer tip. I will definitely keep it in mind.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

I wonder how many people like brick used In this way? Will it restrict re-sale value?....we see real brick on floors more often...but mostly we see people asking how to cover up brick walls..etc....in re-models...I think it is more aesthetic in the right kind of house ....like a historical home or farmhouse... but I find it less appealing if it looks like an imitation...in any setting......of course if you know this is your forever home none of these things matter....

• Nathan warren
    3 years ago

We used Portstone in our kitchen. Roughly 350sqft. We get more compliments on that than anything else. The installation process is a little more rigorous than normal tile but more than worth it. I would definately recommend any of their products!