Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laying tile?

Posted by footwedge (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 10:10

The DW wants to install 19.75" by 5.75" tile that looks like wood in the kitchen, wash and mud rooms.

Besides the greater number of joints to grout, are these tiles harder to install than regular square tiles? My floor is by no means level and has gradual dips/slopes. Will this make it difficult to get these tiles level?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laying tile?

If the floor is not flat, it will make it quite difficult to get the tiles to lay evenly and flat. From what I understand, what you want is a flat floor, but not necessarily a level floor. So, as long as you can smooth out the floor so that a straight edge lays evenly flat against the floor, tile will lay correctly - so the floor can slope, as long as it's a straight slope. If you can even out the surface by filling the dips, the slope itself shouldn't be a problem. The best means of doing this depends on your subfloor material. There's a lot of good info on this at the John Bridges website, and Bill Vincent did a tile FAQ over on the Bathrooms forum that's also got fantastic info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here