Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile vs. Stained Concrete

Posted by appledeco (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 19, 09 at 9:49

Can anyone tell me the the cost comparison between tile and stained concrete? Any other pros and cons I should be aware of?

We're about to buy a house and we'd like to replace the existing tile. I'm wanting to go really dark, like a black brown. I have found a tile I like that is commercial grade, but costs $4.50/sq. ft (designer discount, materials only, I'm thinking installation would add at least $4 to that). I'd like to spend 1/2 that.

The house is from the 70s and has a concrete subfloor. Is stained concrete a viable option for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile vs. Stained Concrete

Stained concrete looks great. I saw a liquor store that did it....

o
RE: Tile vs. Stained Concrete

personally I love stained concrete but be aware that not everyone does
if you plan to move in next few years it is probably less expensive to have your floors tiled because that seems to be the more popular flooring choice between the two...

having concrete professionally stained can be expensive because of the coats/treatment that you choose...
the looks that really capture my attention are the ones with several shades in same color family and good wax jobs...
you also have to consider the quality of the original concrete that would be stained--some concrete is not that smooth--might have damage from construction or having carpet changed out...glue can cause discolorations when stain is added so the floor needs to be cleaned
much depends on the area that you live in--some areas are more attuned to using stained concrete...price can vary by area, the work parameters, the contractor...
some people try to do it themselves but some of the machinery is heavy and difficult to move in/use...
run some searches here
people have asked about it before

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here