Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should we float, glue or nail our bamboo flooring?

Posted by mom2cohen (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 9:09

To clarify, I mean....

Should we have our installer float, glue or nail down our strand bamboo flooring? We just purchased the Distressed Fossilized Java Bamboo from Cali Bamboo and we will be laying it over a concrete subfloor.

So, we have absolutely no idea what the best method is to lay the floors. The sales guy said they do not recommend one way over the other and that it was up to us and our installer. Any thoughts?

I know that if we do the nail down method we will have to lay a wood subfloor first.

Please help! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should we float, glue or nail our bamboo flooring?

Glue works so well.

o

Assuming your installer a professional floor installer (not a brother-in-law moonlighting for cash) and is familiar with your house and the flooring you bought, what does he recommend?

o

Glue down should be the only choice if you do not decide to add subfloor. I do think it is a good idea to float solid stranded Bamboo.

o

Sorry I meant: "I don't think it is a good idea to float solid stranded Bamboo."

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

o

We recently installed country woven strand bamboo with a coffee stain in our kitchen. My husband, a GC and our friend, owner of a local flooring business, used glue. The outcome was great and having no nail holes is great.

From my experience I learned that nailing some bamboo is not an option due to how thin the boards can be.

o

svs128,
May I assume that you glue down the bamboo to the subfloor? Thank you.

o

Stranded is a gluedown only product.

It is too hard to get a fastener through it, and it shrinks and swells too much for floating with just glue at the T&G joint.

They are however, making a glueless click with the stuff for floating only... but the jury is out on that stuff. Works good in some climates and a disaster in others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here