Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impossible to weave in new hardwood to 2 existing floors?

Posted by sandyinva (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 17, 09 at 8:44

I want to remove the ceramic tile in my foyer, and replace it with hardwood, as the rooms entering on the right and left are hardwood and will be refinished at this time. The floors run from left to right, horizontally, in the house. I was told that it won't match up exactly: one room could be weaved with the new foyer floor, but it is unlikely that both rooms would match up exactly with the new floor unless one room is weaved in and the other completely replaced with new hardwood. The installer said it would not match up exactly, but will not be obviously noticeable with a dividing board at the entry way of the livingroom and dining room.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impossible to weave in new hardwood to 2 existing floors?

Do you have a picture of the problem area?

o

No, I afraid I don't, and my camera is out of commission. My house is a center hall colonial. There is a 4 foot entry way for the living room on the right, and a 40 inch entry way for the dining room on left. The foyer at its widest point is about 14 feet. There is also a small coat closet on the righthand side of the front door, which is opposite a stairway. To the left of the front door is a half bath. Half bath and coat closet will be part of the new wood floor. All existing wood floors (LR, DR, and FR) will be sanded and refinished to match new foyer floor.

o

Without seeing the actual problem, I think there would be several ways to address your issues. Has more than one person looked at the problem and given estimates?

o

The floor in each room was done seperately, so it is highly unlikely that a sucessful weave-in can be done.

The easiest thing to do is to break each doorway with a 'dividing board' or do as your installer has suggested and completely relay one of the rooms.

o

Just a suggestion, but how about laying the planks in the foyer in a totally different direction. I can picture boards being placed in a square pattern around the foyer with the joints meeting at a 45 degree angle. Or you could go with some kind of a parquet pattern.

o

If my foyer was square or rectangular that would be an interesting idea, but the stairway juts into it, as does the hall closet, so it wouldn't be the same as a simple rectangle or square.

I am glad to see that others agree with the installer, He said he would weave in the larger of the two rooms, He mentioned using the dividing boards if I wished. Would it look odd if I weavedin one room than had a dividing board for the other? Or is it better with no weaving and two dividing boards?

He is the only one I had look at the floors; I was originally going to have several estimates done, but a reliable source had 5 estimates done in June; he was the most reasonable, and her floors look better than they did when she purchased her house 10 years ago. He is also recommended in the neighbor to neighbor section of Washington Checkbook.

o

I would vote for no weaving and 2 divider boards.

o

If you want it all weaved-in, then weave-in one of the rooms and completely relay the other room if the weave-in can't be done without relaying.

Or, two dividing boards.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here