Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyinva

Impossible to weave in new hardwood to 2 existing floors?

sandyinva
14 years ago

I want to remove the ceramic tile in my foyer, and replace it with hardwood, as the rooms entering on the right and left are hardwood and will be refinished at this time. The floors run from left to right, horizontally, in the house. I was told that it won't match up exactly: one room could be weaved with the new foyer floor, but it is unlikely that both rooms would match up exactly with the new floor unless one room is weaved in and the other completely replaced with new hardwood. The installer said it would not match up exactly, but will not be obviously noticeable with a dividing board at the entry way of the livingroom and dining room.

Comments (9)

• ricew0
    14 years ago

Do you have a picture of the problem area?

• sandyinva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, I afraid I don't, and my camera is out of commission. My house is a center hall colonial. There is a 4 foot entry way for the living room on the right, and a 40 inch entry way for the dining room on left. The foyer at its widest point is about 14 feet. There is also a small coat closet on the righthand side of the front door, which is opposite a stairway. To the left of the front door is a half bath. Half bath and coat closet will be part of the new wood floor. All existing wood floors (LR, DR, and FR) will be sanded and refinished to match new foyer floor.

• ricew0
    14 years ago

Without seeing the actual problem, I think there would be several ways to address your issues. Has more than one person looked at the problem and given estimates?

• glennsfc
    14 years ago

The floor in each room was done seperately, so it is highly unlikely that a sucessful weave-in can be done.

The easiest thing to do is to break each doorway with a 'dividing board' or do as your installer has suggested and completely relay one of the rooms.

• dannie
    14 years ago

Just a suggestion, but how about laying the planks in the foyer in a totally different direction. I can picture boards being placed in a square pattern around the foyer with the joints meeting at a 45 degree angle. Or you could go with some kind of a parquet pattern.

• sandyinva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If my foyer was square or rectangular that would be an interesting idea, but the stairway juts into it, as does the hall closet, so it wouldn't be the same as a simple rectangle or square.

I am glad to see that others agree with the installer, He said he would weave in the larger of the two rooms, He mentioned using the dividing boards if I wished. Would it look odd if I weavedin one room than had a dividing board for the other? Or is it better with no weaving and two dividing boards?

He is the only one I had look at the floors; I was originally going to have several estimates done, but a reliable source had 5 estimates done in June; he was the most reasonable, and her floors look better than they did when she purchased her house 10 years ago. He is also recommended in the neighbor to neighbor section of Washington Checkbook.

• ricew0
    14 years ago

I would vote for no weaving and 2 divider boards.

• glennsfc
    14 years ago

If you want it all weaved-in, then weave-in one of the rooms and completely relay the other room if the weave-in can't be done without relaying.

Or, two dividing boards.

• A Gauthier
    3 years ago

a decade later, what was the final verdict?