Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does laminate chip?

Posted by hedgehoggy (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 8:41

I am trying to decide on flooring choices for our new build. I have found the following laminate (link below)and really am impressed with the look of it as I wasn't even considering laminate until I saw this product in store. It is an 8mm from Shaw. I am wondering if anyone has experienced chipping (or any other problems) with laminate (and if so what was the chip a result of).

https://services.shawinc.com/ProductInformation/ProductBulletin.aspx?StyleNumber=SA511&ColorNumber=00777

Thanks for all opinions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does laminate chip?

Sure laminate can chip. Just drop something heavy on it as a point load. It can also swell and buckle if exposed to moisture or installed without an expansion gap. If it's shiny, but especially shiny and dark, it can show footprints and dirt much worse than matte, but that's a characteristic of shiny, not necessarily laminate.

Wood can do all of those things as well, but there is more wood under the chip. It's not a printed picture of wood with MDF underneath. Wood can also swell if exposed to moisture, but about 70% of the time, if you dry it out fast enough, it will just return to normal with no real lasting damage. Wood also adds some value to your home. Laminate does not and never will. "Laminate wood floor" is an oxymoron coined by realtors trying to prey on the ignorance of buyers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here