Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coeng

new pre-finished floor squeaking in one big area

coeng
12 years ago

I purchased a new home in June 2011 and had the carpeting on the 2nd floor removed as well as the 3/4 inch particle board underneath it, revealing a 1/2 inch plywood subfloor. Prior to installing 3/4 inch prefinished Somerset hardwood flooring the flooring contractor added another 1/2 inch plywood glued and screwed on top of the existing 1/2 inch for a total 1 inch subfloor. When I walked across the subfloor it was rock solid. A week later they installed the hardwood floor and it too was rock solid.

We just moved in this weekend (about three weeks after floors were complete) and there is a large spot in the middle of the hallway that squeaks pretty bad. I am going to call the flooring contractor to complain, but at the same time I am wondering what can actually be done to fix this? I don't want my floor ripped up because I had my house cleaned top to bottom prior to us moving in and we are expecting our third child in a month.

Any suggestions on what I should tell the contractor? Why would the floor not squeak until after we moved in?

Comments (3)