Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with hardwood flooring install

Posted by NE_Lou (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 7:48

Hello - new to the forum here...

I'm installing about 500 square feet of 5" wide, 3/4" thick, yellow birch flooring. It'll be on the first floor, over a partially finished basement, where only half of it is heated.

The area originally had 1/2" subfloor, 3/4" particle board, and carpet. I removed everything down to the subfloor, then installed 3/4" tongue-and-groove OSB as the "real" subfloor, essentially treating the original 1/2" as an un-needed spacer.

During install of the OSB, the original 1/2" had a lot of low spots that I shimmed with 30# felt paper. Some areas have none, some have several layers. Should I still use 15# felt under the birch? I don't want to trap moisture in the OSB between the two layers.

And during install of the birch, I had planned on using 2" powercleat nails. Should I also use glue - i.e. Bostik's Best, or similar? I've read both sides...some articles say that planks this wide need glue, and some say that planks this wide move a lot with seasonal changes, and would just eventually break any glue bond.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with hardwood flooring install

I would glue and nail especially going over the basement you are describing. Bostik's Best is a urethane glue that will stay flexible and do you very well both in helping to keep your floor flat and by moving with the seasonal humidity changes. Be aware that birch does move more than many woods, even if glued.
A side note; gluing a floor can easily add .75 per foot to your cost.

o

As woodfloorpro said, birch does move more and should be glued and as a side note birch is much softer than most hardwoods. I would keep pets and small childrens toys off it.

o

thanks to you both.

after i originally posted, i was reading the NWFA install guidelines for installing plank flooring. it said that there were 3 options: screw and plug the ends; make relief cuts; use glue.

i think the birch boards already have relief cuts...there are 4 of these cuts running parallel on the underside of each board. each cut is wide (about 3/8") and shallow (about 1/16" deep).

are these relief cuts? and even if they are, would you still recommend glue?

thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here