Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ne_lou

Help with hardwood flooring install

NE_Lou
12 years ago

Hello - new to the forum here...

I'm installing about 500 square feet of 5" wide, 3/4" thick, yellow birch flooring. It'll be on the first floor, over a partially finished basement, where only half of it is heated.

The area originally had 1/2" subfloor, 3/4" particle board, and carpet. I removed everything down to the subfloor, then installed 3/4" tongue-and-groove OSB as the "real" subfloor, essentially treating the original 1/2" as an un-needed spacer.

During install of the OSB, the original 1/2" had a lot of low spots that I shimmed with 30# felt paper. Some areas have none, some have several layers. Should I still use 15# felt under the birch? I don't want to trap moisture in the OSB between the two layers.

And during install of the birch, I had planned on using 2" powercleat nails. Should I also use glue - i.e. Bostik's Best, or similar? I've read both sides...some articles say that planks this wide need glue, and some say that planks this wide move a lot with seasonal changes, and would just eventually break any glue bond.

Thanks

Comments (3)