Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Douglas fir flooring in kitchen

Posted by theresa2 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 9, 11 at 5:40

Is it practical for DD to refinish the old 1929 douglas fir flooring in her kitchen or should she just forgo the idea and move on to something else? I mean is the floor going to be too soft for kitchen use? Currently the fir is covered with a layer of linoleum tiles and another layer of vinyl sheeting. The tiles and adhesives have all been tested and shown that they do not contain asbestos.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Douglas fir flooring in kitchen

Fir is rather soft but if it is old growth that stands up better.

o

I live in a converted schoolhouse built in 1890 and the flooring throughout is douglas fir. Removing the old lineoleum and adhesive was difficult but definitely worth it. We sanded and refinished the flooring and it was awesome. I use the past tense because after 20+ years, it's definitely time to have the floors screened and recoated. It's true that douglas fir is a soft wood, but I love the character intrinsic in old wood floors.

o

This is a very common question. As the poster above mentioned, Fir is relatively soft; however, one of the beautiful things about Douglas Fir Flooring is that as it weathers, it absorbs nicks and blemishes into the wood. If you are hoping for a floor that is blemish free and pristine, Fir is not your choice. If you are looking for something that is warm and filled with character, than Douglas Fir Flooring is a great idea. As to putting it in the kitchen, keep in mind that the finish you use will be imperative to the durability of your floor. If using a water based finish, we recommend using an extra coat above and beyond the manufacturer's directions.

Good Luck with your project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Douglas Fir Flooring

o

Thanks David for the advice on using an extra coat of finish on the floor. I think I'm going to love the character imperfections that is inherent with this type of flooring.

o

David, is one coat sealer and three coats water based finish good enough? Should I be using an oil or a water base product?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here