Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this floor?

Posted by miruca (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 3:51

Love the floor in this picture ... does anyone know what it is?

Hardwood Floors photo modern-office-with-hardwood-flooring_zpsa401e273.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this floor?

Mirage Old Hickory in natural.

o

hollysprings - thank you!! This was very helpful! I really like this ... but not sure about it being an engineered vs hardwood.

o

Engineered IS hardwood. It's only wood propagandists that would have you think otherwise. It's more suitable to a wider range of temperature and humidity swings, as well as concrete subfloors.

o

GreenDesigns ... thanks for your correction. I meant to say it was not solid hardwood. I do love this floor and am sending for a sample. I do tend though to really like site finished solid hardwood.

o

Miruca - we just had a similar floor installed in our house. It's 5" solid clear grade hickory, unfinished as of yet. For reference sake, we're paying about [EDIT: only $8sf - fuzzy math] installed and finished with a 2-coat hardwax/oil hybrid. We chose hickory bc we're hard on floors (dogs, etc) and it's one of the strongest, hardest woods we could afford.

What greendesigns said about humidity swings and concrete subfloors is important - we researched this quite a bit before going with the solid hickory. Some sites say hickory is more susceptible to cupping, others say its less, either way the engineered product would mitigate that if you have serious humidity challenges. I think the wider planks compound the problem, too.

FWIW we have 8" pine subfloors and a finished basement so it wasn't a big deal for us. I did buy a bunch of hygrometers and am monitoring the humidity in the house carefully, at least for the next couple years.

This post was edited by Swentastic on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 12:53

o

Swentastic your floor is gorgeous! Thank you for all the information. Our install will be for a MIL space above a double garaged ... which has me wondering whether humidity swings would be an issue. The garage is currently not heated but I plan to have it heated as part of improving the space above it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here