Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New engineered hardwood nailed over linoleium - one loose board

Posted by TNGardener19 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 3:41

I recently had very competent installers put engineered, square-edge hardwood over a vinyl floor. It is very securely nailed in most places, but the end of one board, right in front of the kitchen sink, has about 1/16" - 1/8" of give and it makes a popping noise when I step on it. The boards around it don't seem to have this problem. If it were in an untraveled area, it would be ok but I will step on it 20 times a day. This house is 50 years old and the floor squeaked in a few places before, so I'll probably get over the noise. However:
1. Will this loose end cause real problems later?
2. If so, is there any way to tighten this board without asking him to tear up a lot of the floor?
They are coming back to finish another area tomorrow, so I have time to ask them if they can fix it. I just want to be knowledgeable about it before I ask.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New engineered hardwood nailed over linoleium - one loose boa

This shouldn't be a problem. Just ask them to fix it.

o

You were right. They fixed it immediately. It helps to choose a reputable installer.

o

How did they fix it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here