Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenyang

Sources for reclained wood flooring?

karenyang
16 years ago

I'm having a tough time finding a source for reclaimed wood flooring - I've googled, but only a few sources show up, and most seem like relatively small businesses. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Ideally, I'd like an antique walnut floor (approx 2,000 sq ft), but I'd be willing to go with a different wood (reclaimed oak, most likely?) stained to a walnut finish.

I see a lot of reclaimed heart pine floors - what is general consensus on this material? Too soft for dogs/kids? i.e. I don't need my floors to stay showroom perfect, but I don't want a ton of noticeable divits (sp?) either....

Thanks for your help!

Comments (9)

• karenyang
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, the subject line should read "reclaimed"....sorry, it's late....

• gsciencechick
    16 years ago

I can't advise you on if the floor is right for you, but I was reading a couple of weeks ago in my hometown (Buffalo, NY) about salvaging architectural treasures and flooring from some of the great homes and former businesses that have left the area. There were two businesses mentioned:

www.buffaloreuse.org
    www.buildingreuse.org

Here is the link to the Buffalo News article:
    http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=doc&p_docid=11B03E54EA0FEDD8&p_docnum=10

• glennsfc
    16 years ago

There is a company in Pine Plains, NY that you need to get in contact with. Now, if only I can remember the name...

Yes! I have it...it's Antique and Vintage Woods of America.

If you contact them, it wouldn't hurt to tell them that Sohm Flooring Consultants recommended you to them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique and Vintage Woods

• breezy_2
    16 years ago

First, walnut to soft for....NOT its 1000+ on the janka scale so plenty hard. You just don't find a lot of walnut that was used in beams 100 years ago like heart pine so there is less to reclaim I guess. There are a number sources out there... try Carlisle but be prepared to put your money where your wants are. Its not cheap $11-$18 per sqft! Add another 6 bucks to lay sand and finish and your looking at big bucks but it IS beautiful.

• karenyang
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, everyone - that info is *really* helpful!

gsciencechick - those businesses are great! We have actually done a little work to try to find similar businesses in our area (we're on the opposite coast from you - SF Bay Area), in the hopes that some of the "stuff" in our existing house can be re-used or at least recycled. The kicker is we'll save $ on dump fees for the rest of the structure, as well. Way cool all around.

Glennsfc, thanks! Sounds like this is a company you've worked with before?

breezy_2: thanks for the input, very much appreciated! Yes, I'm still getting my arms around the premium involved for reclaimed materials. But it's a philosophy we appreciate, a look we enjoy, and a surface we'll be seeing at a LOT, so I think (gulp) it might be worth it....

Floorguy: yikes! Thanks!! I definitely have some homework to do now. Question, and you (and glennsfc) are in the industry - most salvage/reclaimed wood houses seem to be in the midwest/east, which makes sense, because that's where a lot more of the sources of the materials are. Have you worked on any projects with any of these vendors that had to be shipped cross country (which I imagine is fairly easy and standard), but which ran in to issues: underestimated the amount of wood needed, or wood quality not as expected, etc etc.? Wondering how customer service is, and a little nervous about $20K worth of materials purchased sight unseen and not exactly an easy return-in-the-mail...

Thanks again ~

• glennsfc
    16 years ago

I have not worked with the company, but I did have a professional interest and I toured their facility and their design center. If you're anywhere near Pine Plains, I am sure that you too could meet the staff and tour the facility.

I ordered some reclaimed heart pine from Pioneer Millworks and the experience was flawless. I forget exactly how shipping was handled, but it came by a common carrier in a covered rig.

• eandhl
    16 years ago

gerberadaisy, if it is your budget check Carlisle. We toured the company, if we can find a way in our budget they are by far the nicest company. Wonderful products, they ship all over and can probably give you something they did close enough for you to see. Good luck.

• rosesr4me
    16 years ago

I am awaiting a final quote from Elmwood Reclaimed Timber in Kansas City MO. So far, they have been very professional. I am only getting replacement boards (to be custom milled). Even with my small order, they have been very helpful (they send out samples). Nice website too.