Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl plank woodgrain look flooring

Posted by m2day (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 1:58

We (me, husband, 10 year old son, 2 year old labrador 'indoor' dog) are building a new custom house in the country. We really need to decide on flooring for the main area of the house -- Kitchen, dining, great room, foyer, and hallway to bedrooms. We really want low-fuss and easy maintainence and have decided that 'luxury' vinyl planks with a woodgrain look are the way we want to go because of 1) reputation to be scratch resistant more than hardwood finishes 2) 'realistic' type look to mimic hardwood. We've seen three different types of vinyl plank top textures: absolute smooth like most hardwood floors, light surface texture almost like a mahogany type texture, and a very deep woodgrain texture/pattern. We've attempted to 'scratch' the samples of all three types across different brands and even compared them to hardwood samples. All, with enough effort, will scratch of course but the toughest we found was a smooth finish Konecto product -- and, it looked the most 'real'. Our builder thought this looked best. But, the local flooring rep in our town thought the textured finish would be easier to live with whenever scratches occur as well as being better at hiding dust and dog hair. We tend to think this light textured finish looks the most fake but we wondered what those who have it think of it over time. We're not out to impress anyone but don't want to be irritated with it over time either. I'd love to hear others' experience about finish -- whether hardwood, engineered wood, or of course vinyl. What do you like, not like? Thanks so much! I'm going crazy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl plank woodgrain look flooring

I can't help as I've been looking at vinyl plank flooring as you have and each store just has a tiny sample, which I can not imagine in a large section. There are no photos or anything to see what a room of it will look like. I have not seen anything that looked shiny or smooth. I mean when I look at real wood floors, I like the handscraped and the shiny ones best. I have not seen the Konecto in person anywhere. It sounds nice. I hope some people answer you. My carpet is disgusting now and must go. My (RIP) Lady Marisa at the end made many "mistakes". Oh, I was told by a friend's daughter who is an interior designer (like an architect but for the inside) that engineered wood is wonderful, but not for homes with pets. She also suggested against wood if the dog makes mistakes. Mine doesn't now- but he's only 7. She suggested tile- I hate walking on tile. I hope you will get answers, m2day.

o
RE: Vinyl plank woodgrain look flooring

Thanks missylin - it does sound like we're in the same boat. We had a contractor in our house today while we were looking at our floor samples and so we asked him what he thought of the smooth (hardwood-like) sample versus the two others we had out with a slight surface texture. He said not to go with the smooth. He put in hardwood floors and he regrets it terribly. After cleaning the floor he said dust and dirt appear (he has kids and a dog). It always catches his eye and bugs him. So, that did it for us -- confirmed our worst fears about the lifestyle we'll lead in this house. We tossed the smooth shiny sample and are going to go with a vinyl plank version with a matte type texture. Just haven't decided on which one yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here