Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile versus Carpet for Basement

Posted by btheis (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 0:40

Hi Folks,
I've searched the posts and can't find a discussion of tile vs. carpet for basement floors. Thus, I seek your opinion.

Current basement floor is carpet over tile. Basement flooded about 5 years ago due to hydrostatic pressure from really heavy rains. Installed an interior French drain and that seems to have solved the problem. No flooding since then despite the same conditions occurring several times during the last couple of years.

Our water heater failed about a month ago and did further damage to the carpet in the basement.

Wife is of the mind that "What else can happen" so let�s re-carpet.

I'm of the mind of "be done with it" as with tile I can just mop up any water.

Carpet will run +-$2,100, tile will be +-$3,600 both include materials.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile versus Carpet for Basement

In a basement, tile over heat strips is as good as it gets. Feels good on the toes and depending on how much you cover, could heat the space.

o

That said...and you can lay down attractive area rugs and clean or replace them should a water event occur again.

o

Hi Betheis. I didn't have any floods to contend with...just the Great Grey-green, Greasy Limpopo River flowing through the back yard turning it into the Swamp of Despair. (HOA is responsible for common areas abutting yards & hasn't corrected the drainage issues...we've done all we can within the yard...)

We're laying wood-grain plank 6"x24" ceramic tiles next weekend. I'd debated over tiling the entire basement, weighing pros & cons. Thought about floating laminate or engineered wood, possibly cork, too. Once I saw a sample floor in the "Birch Beige" wood-grain it was all over.

It's worth the consideration and looking into. Your wife may just like the hardwood-floor look like I did =>.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here