Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl Plank Flooring over existing ceramic tile in bathroom

Posted by idreos (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 0:32

I am interested in installing vinyl plank flooring in a bathroom that has ceramic tile with 4.5" ceramic baseboard tiles.
I wanted to replace the existing ceramic flooring, but dreaded the dirty job of removing the existing tile and mastic.

I like that vinyl planking can be laid on top of existing ceramic tile and am seeking advice on how to best handle the existing ceramic tile baseboard sections.

Would they have to be removed, and how can this best be done without damaging the bottom of two plasterboard walls? Is there a way of removing the existing ceramic baseboard segments and would conventional wood baseboard be used to replace the ceramic segments?

Thanks for your help and any tips

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl Plank Flooring over existing ceramic tile in bathroom

We are doing master bath remodel and previous owners had vinyl plank flooring laid over the concrete foundation--
the people who did the work said that if the baseboard is high enough (ours is about 3" of wood--not tile..
they said the vinyl plank was run to the baseboards and cut to fit then silicone caulk was used along that joint...
So far have noticed no issues anyplace in house this was done--not just in bathroom...
we are taking out all LVT in master suite and replacing it with 1 type of flooring for unified look after master bath is redone--since we can't get the type of flooring in there now--not made anymore--
they won't need to add a quarter round on top of the LVT...
so as long as you are happy with how the LVT would look butting up to the ceramic tile baseboard--maybe you can do the same...

IS the ceramic baseboard in good shape? Still tight?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here