Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

What do you think of Lumber Liquidators flooring and installers?

TxMarti
10 years ago

I joined Angie's List and did a search for flooring installers. Mainly a list of flooring stores, but there was one individual, so I called him. He came out and seemed knowledgeable enough though he did say he leveled uneven places as he went with the adhesive. He said he mainly worked for Lumber Liquidators and that was the only reference he could give me, other than a local store where he sanded and refinished the solid wood floors, so I still wouldn't know how well he installed engineered.

Comments (5)

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Crap and hacks. Only homeowners who have little experience ever think differently. They're seduced by the massive budget spent on advertising. The best stores don't spend hardly anything on advertising. They don't have to. The pros who stay busy doing quality jobs know where to buy quality product. And it won't be LL. It will be a local flooring store or wholesale supplier that you as a consumer don't even know about and doesn't sell seconds.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

"... though he did say he leveled uneven places as he went with the adhesive."

A recipe for disaster.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, that's what I thought.

The guy who did our original floors, from a locally owned flooring store, also leveled with the adhesive. I didn't know that wasn't good until we started getting bids for this flooring and the others said that wasn't right.

• kitasei
    10 years ago

On the other hand, it is worth having the company that supplies the product also do the installation - that puts them on the hook if the floor fails, as mine did. I had wood from LL but used an independent (and much better) installer. When the engineered wood floor buckled, LL could wash its hands of the problem. I think you can go with LL IF you read all of the instructions for installation and maintenance that come with their guarantee, use their installer, and follow all to the letter. Same with Home Depot or any other big company. I don't know how you hold a small guy responsible.

• jimbobreese
    10 years ago

We installed 720 sf of the Morning Star Click bamboo flooring sold by Lumber Liquidators in June of 2013. The material finish scratches easy, however, the scratches are the least of our problems. The cupping started with the shorter pieces in the hallways. By December 2013, the entire installation was cupping and gaps appeared in random areas. When LLI was contacted about the defects, we were informed that the condition was not covered under their warranty.
    In reading the various reviews on independent sites for this product, it seems that there is a chronic problem with scratching, cupping and separations. Lumber Liquidators will use any excuse to avoid any liability for providing their customers with a very poor product.
    Our first mistake in selecting our new floor was believing that the reviews on the LLI site were unbiased reviews. The product reviews on the LLI website are "selected" reviews. Gee....I wonder who selects them. Our second mistake was actually purchasing this product.
    We will have to replace our eight month old floor and it sure as heck will not be with a product supplied by Lumber Liquidators.
    We learned a $5,000.00 lesson the hard way⦠donâÂÂt make the same mistake.
    The LLI warranty should be condensed to read: âÂÂWarranty is void if material is removed from factory packagingâÂÂ.
    STAY AWAY FROM LUMBER LIQUIDATORS!!!!!!!!!!