Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strip flooring with unusual cross section

Posted by ferretbee (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 23:24

I'm renovating a small 1890's house and need to patch and refinish about 700 sq/ft of strip flooring. It looks like red oak, and measures 3/8 inch thick x 2 inches wide. It does not have a traditional tongue and groove but has a bevel joint instead:

Has anyone run across this type of flooring before? Someone was concerned about wavy joints if the sanding isn't kept very even.

I have not found any source for flooring with this type of joint, but can sacrifice the upstairs hallway to make my patches and then install regular tongue and groove in the hall.

Does anyone have a reasonable source for 3/8" x 2" (or even 2-1/4") unfinished red oak flooring on the East coast? I'm located in Northeastern PA.

Thanks in advance,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strip flooring with unusual cross section

Take a picture of the face and i can get a better look and tell you the species.

Finding old style flooring like that will be tricky and depends on how much money you want to spend.

For starters i would call a local pro. You dont have to hire him to do the work but he will have a larger resource in finding that type of wood or maybe point you in the right direction.

If money isnt an issue you could always have new stuff specially milled.

o

You just need that profile on the 'starter' edge, the rest could be regular tounge and groove? Right?

o

What I need for my project is a source for 3/8" thick by x 2" (or 2-1/4") wide unfinished tongue and groove Red Oak flooring near PA.

o

I removed my hall floor today and looked more closely at the stamping on the back. It's marked 'CROMAR FACTORY FINISHED FLOORING, THE CROMAR CO, WILLIAMSPORT PA, Reg US PAT 6-10-19, 9-1-25.

A quick search on google for 'Cromar Flooring' had some interesting results from old newspapers and trade publications.

I found one of the patents:

Here is a link that might be useful: freepatentsonline.com/1644710.pdf

o

How fun to do some historical sleuthing. Those oddities are both the magic and the challenge of old homes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here