Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone used Coretec?

Posted by joygreenwald (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 22:52

I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any threads talking about Coretec--tons of other LVP info but nothing about Coretec. We are looking for something interlocking in a blue/ gray plank. The aren't many, or almost any, other options. These look promising, but I'd love some real unbiased information. One of the only other options I can find its a Karndean plank, but it's glue down.

Anyone? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone used Coretec?

I have looked a lot, too, and I have pretty well decided that Coretec is what I'm putting in. I'm in the process of picking which plank. There isn't anything like it on the market (and I've looked!). I've been to 3 different flooring stores which carry it, and they all have told me that it's flying off the shelves. One store owner told me yesterday that his installers love the product and it's very well made. I am having a terrible time finding samples--the factory samples are tiny, and the suppliers haven't given the stores in my area samples of the Coretec Plus XL (the 9" wide planks). So that's my problem. But I'm going to be patient because the cork layer makes it thicker and a bit softer than the Karndean would be. Perhaps we haven't read much about Coretec because people are pretty happy with it and aren't complaining (we can hope!). Anyone else have experience with it?

o

I have a call in to find out who carries it near me. I have requested samples, but small samples won't be of much help. Hopefully someone near me has it. Where are you? I'm in Framingham, MA.

o

I was able to see some really nice sized samples locally and bring them home. I was impressed. So I just took the plunge. It should arrive in a week or so, though it won't be going in for at least a month. I'll report back both short and longer term.

o

Well, I located a non-flooring store that had Coretec installed. I was not happy to see that there are maybe a dozen gaps throughout the store (gaps on the short sides of the planks). Also, the planks are cupping in a large section of the store. That was highly disappointing to say the least. The store owner told me that the installers had been back to fix it, but that they need to come back again. I happen to know which store installed it, so I called them to ask for their response, and they said that it was their first Coretec install, and that the manufacturer rep and salespeople have oversold the product as not requiring expansion gaps for install. They now believe what they say they should have known in the first place, that expansion gaps are definitely required. Also, that they went out to fix the situation, and didn't know there were more problems but they certainly intend to address them. They believe that the cupping effect will dissipate over time, as the floor settles into the expansion gap. FYI, I am in San Diego area. We have a very mild climate. This leaves me wondering, a lot. Does anyone else want to comment? Please tell me this issue is related to installation and not the product!!

o

We had 800 sq ft of Coretec installed in our kitchen, stairs and bonus room above the garage mid-June 2014. Within 3 weeks we started noticing issues with the seams (gaps) and a serious problem with some tiles where the vinyl layer was shrinking, exposing up to a 1/4 inch gap at seams. We contacted the retailer/installer who referred the issue to U.S. Floors (manufacturer). As of this date we have not been contacted by a U.S. Floors rep. I started researching the flooring to see if others had issues, and, like others, noticed that there is not much out there on Coretec. We kind of took a chance with this flooring and hope we don't regret this expensive decision. Hopefully U.S. Floors will offer a solution to correct the problems.

o

Oy vey! It's too late now for us to change our minds. The order went in on Friday. We have LVPs from Limber Liquidators on our playroom floor (To me, they seen nicer than their standard ones; my local store had these particular planks in stock on clearance.) The floor has been perfect, even after two recent floods thanks to crazy weather in New England. It looks and feels great, and people think it's wood. I decided to go with the fancier, more expensive, product for my kitchen. Of course, part of that decision was based on color. (I could get very similar planks on a cherry color but not a blue/gray. Cherry would have been fine in there. But we prefered blue/gray.). But I couldn't find any experiences or any place that has Coretc actually installed. Now I'm scared. It's only 100 sq ft, but it's an important 100 sq ft.

o

Thanks everyone for posting here. It's so hard to find reviews/experiences with this product.

kaseyray-Could you tell me the store where you saw it installed? We were about to order this product and are in the SD area as well. I saw some laid out at Coles, and it looked great. they really tried to sell their company installation though because then they could guarantee it. But I found a much less expensive option. Our flooring guy believes everything is at risk of expansion so he would let it acclimate and use expansion gaps. I'm so nervous about making a 1300 sq ft mistake.

o

Tumbles,
Any answers yet on what caused your gap problem? Please post an update when you get details for us all.

kaseyray, I am a third person on this thread in San Diego area, also wondering about about the details on the non-flooring store install you saw that had the problem. IMO nothing beats seeing and walking in a room with product installed. But where is it???

o

The U.S. Floors reps came and assessed (moisture readings and measurements) my floors on July 25. As of today we have not heard back from them. I'll update this post again, hopefully, with good news from U.S. Floors.

By the way, I am also from San Diego.

o

Tumbles, any update? I was getting ready to place a Coretec order, but am worried about the shrinking vinyl that you mentioned. Thanks!

o

U.S. Floors came back today and blamed the gaps on installation, stating our new second floor addition was not level? I'm not buying their findings. It's apparent that the vinyl layer shrunk. I suppose this is their way of getting out of replacing portions of the floor that failed. The retailer/installer stated they would replace the failed tiles at their cost. I don't see this flooring lasting more than a few years, particularly with gaps appearing three weeks after installation. I would not recommend this floor or any flooring by U.S. Floors.

This was their findings:

"The luxury vinyl flooring is experiencing issues with buckling and pieces not fully engaged on the end cuts to the doors and transition areas due to sub floors being out of level, installer not fitting in the end pieces properly for a proper fit, and direct sunlight on the luxury vinyl tile. At time of inspection, I found there to be no manufacture related issues, but to be locally caused issues."

This post was edited by Tumbles on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 20:41

o

Tumbles, thanks so much for sharing your update, though I am sorry you are having to deal with this. I am so glad your retailer is handing the replacement planks for you.

After having looked closely at the actual pic, I can see why you think the vinyl may have shrunk. The core itself is a light beige, and I can see from samples here at my home that the image layer sits on a dark base that is then attached to the beige core. How can they say that the planks aren't fully engaged if you can't even see any of the beige locking mechanism?

Ugh....I had just finalized my decision to order this floor, and it looks like I need to start over. :(

o

To follow up Tumbles' post, I wanted to share a pic of a Coretec Plus sample....you can see the image layer, the darker layer (same as you see in Tumble's pic), the beige core layer, and the cork at the bottom.

If the boards were not engaged properly, why would you be seeing the dark layer and not the beige layer?

o

While shopping for flooring, I saw Coretec Plus installed in an entire room (office) in the flooring store, Carpet Club, in Escondido, CA.
There were many gaps on the short ends of the planks. The salesman said the issue was not due to an installation or room problem. The salesman said US Floors had changed their manufacturing process, now at a different factory, and that corrected the product's problem. The installation was over a year old.
I wonder why US Floors did not replace the product the salesman described as defective so that customers would not get scared away. I suppose a possible answer is US Floors did not stand behind their product as in Tumble's situation.

o

Alannn, thanks for that update. I may call US Floors and discuss it with them since I really do like the floor material.

o

We've encountered delays with the kitchen. (Anyone here surprised?). So, I haven't even picked up our order yet. I will post once it's installed and post again to follow up.

As I said, I'd already ordered it before this thread took off. It's non refundable. So we'll just hope for the best.

o

Dirty little secret - this homeowner was the victim of a bad install by their retailer. The Coretec Plus(or any locking vinyl) is easy to install wrong. Most locking vinyl plank/tile installations that I have seen fail are due to: 1) flatness of subfloor is neglected (3/16" in 10' minimum). If the floor is not within the minimum flatness requirement, it will disengage over time due to the stresses put on the locking system. 2) installer fails to engage the locking system properly. It can look like it's together, but unless it is struck at a roughly 45 degree angle with a rubber mallet on the end joints, it is near impossible to get it properly engaged (video on you tube - Coretec Plus original locking system). 3) "Overtapping" happens when there is too much force used to put a locking system together. This will give the planks a raised look on the end joints that is often confused with cupping. No matter what locking vinyl plank/tile flooring you choose - be sure to write only one check for the material and installation. You want the store to be responsible for everything. When you write two checks, you become responsible for everything and almost impossible to get your problem solved if you have a material problem or installation problem. Another tip - ask to have your floor inspected by a certified independent inspector. Many times the retailer or manufacturer will pay for this (about $400) and the inspector's job is to view the floor and determine the reason for the failure: manufacturing, installation, or environmental/maintenance related(consumer). If you disagree with the inspection report, your next option is to hire another independent inspector(make sure they have the proper credentials!) to perform an inspection. If the inspector you hire comes to a different conclusion, most manufacturers will reimburse you for the inspection fee and issue replacement of material and labor expenses(verify this first). After seeing the photos it was immediately clear to me that the manufacturer was off the hook and the retailer/installer was responsible for the poor installation. The retailer should not have even wasted the homeowner's time filing a claim with the manufacturer.

o

mrobvious, I'm not sure the problems with our install are totally the fault of installer. I am having the damaged tiles replaced next week. I will take better photos of the tiles that I suspect are quality issues with U.S. Floors, including the vinyl layer deformation issues and the separation/peeling of the vinyl layer on a few tiles.

o

I read your post again and the response from US Floors. It sounds like they hired an independent inspector to inspect the floor. Is that correct? Typically independent inspector's are thorough and pay attention to the facts of the installation and arrive at their conclusions based on the manufacturer's installation & maintenance requirements, industry standards, and their written warranties. I have been contacted many times by inspectors asking for copies of all of those documents and then they produce their reports. Sometimes it goes the consumer's way and most of the time their conclusions find that the installation, maintenance, or the conditions do not meet the manufacturer's requirements(which can be obscure and numerous). If you feel strongly that the manufacturer is at fault, ask the retailer for a second inspection from a different certified inspector and see if they come to a different conclusion. It is relatively easy to prove if a locking system is defective, floor is not flat, delamination, or faulty installation. One final note - if a repair is performed without getting the floor to the proper flatness, it will fail again. The separation and peeling could be from the separation and uneven sub floor leaving high edges in traffic areas that are getting hit with foot traffic (seen this happen before). I am suspicious about a plank replacement type of repair, because the floor looks terribly out of rack and I envision difficulties if that is attempted. You are in a strong position, because at least now you have an inspection indicating the deficiencies in the installation and someone owes you a new floor - hopefully the retailer (if you wrote one check for everything) or the installer (if you wrote two checks for everything) will see it that way too. I hope you get taken care of and get your floor looking good.

o

Tumbles, just checking in to see how the installation of your replacement tiles went, and if you have any additional pics. I am on the verge of ordering 700 sqft of the Cortec Plus XL, but just haven't felt comfortable enough to place the order yet. :(

o

Just an FYI that I am now looking at a company that is selling a nearly identical product that I think is manufactured at the same facility as Coretec Plus. I heard there were some issues with their initial locking system, and they are now using a better one. I will let everyone know how these alternative samples look, since they are certainly cheaper than Coretec.

o

Waiting to hear from you, Bacardi621, since I ordered a Coretech sample after reading this discussion.

o

Elisabeth, I got my first samples (which were a bit small)..,they were identical to Coretec with the following differences: 1) the product looked exactly the same from a structure and click mechanism standpoint, except it did not have the cork layer. 2) their colors are more traditional and there are less to choose from. They are sending me some larger samples this week, plus some new large plank samples (like Coretec XL) that they just got in. I will post some pics when I get them in at the end of the week.

o

The product is imported into the country by Happy Feet International. It's called "Extreme Elegance". They do have some of the same patterns (8 total), no cork on the back, and the plank size is not the same. If Coretec Plus makes you nervous, then this product will make you run screaming naked out of the store with your hair on fire. Do your due diligence with this knockoff. Look at their website and try to get an msds sheet on it and the details of their warranty. They must have really cut their price to beat Coretec Plus on price because their wholesale cost was just the same or maybe a dime more when it was first introduced. A fair retail price for this product would be around $3 per sf.

o

Mrobvious, I am not sure if that is the product or not...do you have a link? The one I am looking at is from weshipfloors.com. They posted a letter from US Floors stating that they are trying to patent this flooring and that WSF might owe them royalties, so if it wasn't similar why would US Floors bother with them?

Btw, I am not asking this to be snippy, but are you associated with US Floors in any way?

Thanks !

Here is a link that might be useful: Weshipfloors product

o

Hi, I compared the specs for the Happy Feet product to the We Ship Floors product:

Happy Feet Enduring Elegance: (NOT THE SAME)
4mm Uni-Click Plank
.2 mm Wear Layer / 8 mil
100% Virgin Material
12 pcs. per box / 24 sq. ft. per box
30 Year Residential Warranty*

Happy Feet Extreme Elegance: (LOOKS THE SAME EXCEPT FOR LOCKING MECHANISM)
6.5 mm Uni-Click Plank
1.5 mm Top Vinyl Layer
20 mil Wear Layer
Anti-Microbial, Anti-Scratch, Anti-Slip
100% Waterproof
100% Floating Floor
10 pcs. per box/ 19.7 sq ft. per box
30 Year Residential Warranty*

We Ship Floors Kryptonite Waterproof Laminate (aka LVP)
6.5 mm
Valinge G2 Drop and Lock connecting system
1.5 mm Top Vinyl Layer
20 mil Wear Layer
Anti-microbial
Anti-scratch
Anti-slip
100% Waterproof
30 year Residential Warranty

Looks like they are the same, but I contacted WSF to be sure.

Thanks!

This post was edited by Bacardi621 on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 22:30

o

FYI that I received the wide plank samples today, and none of the colors worked for me....they were more rustic looking, or grayish, and I was looking for a more traditional color. Interestingly, the core was black instead of the Cortec ivory, and they did have cork on the bottom.

At this point I am back to picking from a couple of Coretec samples vs a couple of the We Ship Floors/Extreme Elegance samples.

o

Well, to all of you in the San Diego area, I don't want to name the flooring retailer, as throughout my research I have seen this retailer have stellar Yelp reviews, and I believe them that it's not their fault. They have been in business for a looooong time. Look at retailers in the Encinitas area, and ask around. You will find out. In case anyone is interested to know, I have decided against Coretec, and I'm probably going to do a combo of wood and polished concrete in the high traffic areas. Very durable for dogs and kids!

o

Yes I have had Coretec Plus Carolina Pine installed and I love it!!
The installers did have to do a bit of prep on a low section of the concrete slab in the family room.
I have moped it up with with flax soap and H2O and it looks great.
What is everyone else using??

o

Jane, that looks great! I think I have finalized my color choice and am going to order this week. Did you get any of their transition strips?

o

Here is another pic of the flooring in my dinette. I should have used a flash as it looks darker than it is.
When the installers told me they had to apply concrete to even out the floor I was surprised. The company advertised that no floor prep was needed.
The installers also spent a lot of time cutting and staggering the planks.
One other thing they told me was to use real wood for the thresholds not the vinyl.
I live in Gainesville Florida where it is frequently 90% humidity.
Gainesville Carpets Plus installed the floor.
I love the floors. We are hard on our floors because we are gardeners and have a 70# dog.

o

Bacardi do you mean thresholds? They , installers, told me
to not use Coretecs' product and to use real wood for the thresholds.
Here is a pic of the threshold.

o

Jane, I am in Jacksonville so I know about the humidity, sigh. Your floors look great, and it sounds like your installers knew what they were doing. I also going over a slab, so will keep the leveling in mind.

Interesting that they told you to use wood thresholds...I am worried about how to get the colors to match since I am going with a lighter, kind of grayish tan color.

o

Hi again Bacardi621.

I REALLY appreciate you telling me about this forum. I finally had a few moments to create an account.

I am sorry we didn't have a color that worked for you. We are limited in our colors at this time since we just started bringing in WPC a few months back. Our color offering will be increasing dramatically in the near future. With all the threats and demands being thrown our way, there is NO WAY we are walking away from this product. We're expanding the line!

I think everyone is making trim for this WPC flooring out of wood or matching it up with rubber moldings. The moldings manufacturer uses the floor you pick out as a color guide, so the trim should be pretty close.

If there is ever anything that I can do for you in the future, please let me know. I will help you in any way that I can.

mrobvious: In what capacity do you work for Piet - or are you Piet himself? (Piet owns US Floors)

I'm curious. how exactly did US Floors develop WPC again? Wasn't it already on the international marketplace when they picked it up?

As far as a MSDS sheet and Warranty info, they are all published. So is our Floor Score indoor air certification SCS-EC10.2-2007

Alan Ward
CEO
Hardwood Distribution LLC
WeShipFloors.com
Toll Free 844-FLOOR11

o

Dear Alan,

I am not Piet nor do I work for him. I own and operate several online flooring businesses preying on uninformed consumers. I don't let them return product unless they have at least 4 cartons left over and then I charge them a 25% restock fee plus a 5% handling fee, unless it is a special order item that I do not stock, which that ofcourse cannot be returned at all - he he he... I collect all my money upfront and never allow customers to return moldings or underlayment. By selling online I am never responsible for poor installations and I can sit back and blame the consumer or the installer. I have concocted a story about how my products are not name brands and that way I can drive the price down to near nothing and the products arrive in white unlabeled boxes. Anyone that questions me or my products are ridiculed in order to draw attention away from my business scheme. Your right Alan, you may just know who I am.

o

Wow. I am not sure why this needs to become a personal attack?

I can say that Alan at We Ship Floors was very forthcoming with information, and spent quite a bit of time with me. And FYI that I am definitely not an uninformed consumer (I have been researching this floor for months, and have samples from multiple providers).

Of everything I looked at, his product was the closest to Coretec, and was basically identical with the exception of a different visual and the cork.

I am happy to provide pics for comparison purposes if anyone would like to see them.

o

Bacardi621: This thread started out with someone needing help on a Coretec Plus claim. What does a knockoff vinyl plank, with whatever name a guy wants to name it, (one vendor calls it Extreme Elegance and another calls it Kryptonite, one says it is a Valinge 2g locking system and another calls it Uni-clic - why the hyphen?, they both have the same patterns, same sf per carton, same warranties,etc..., etc...) have to do with this thread? Start a new one. If you want Coretec Plus, then ask your friend Alan what his price is on Coretec Plus. If you want Kryptonite, then get a price on the same product. To equalize Coretec Plus and this other potentially patent infringing product is just poor logic and misleads others. You could also do some research on copyright and patent infringements of the locking systems allegedly used on these products. There are basically 250 - 300 licenses, yet thousands of manufacturers purporting to use these locking systems. You may have done some research the best you can, but don't forget to ask yourself how do you know what you know is right? I have included a link for you. Tip - look for the holographic label on each carton to verify the locking system. Every licensed product has it.
http://blog.laminateflooringmanufacturers.com/the-legality-of-laminate-flooring-click-systems/

o

I own Hardwood Distribution LLC which sells online via WeShipFloors.com. I do not have multiple online selling sites.

I do not and never will prey upon uniformed consumers. We do our very best to educate and inform each and every person who wishes to buy from us.

I cannot think of a single person who we have ever charged a restocking fee, even though we say we do on the website. We work with people in any way that we can to try and make them happy. We do everything in our power to take care of the people who are gracious enough to give us their business. I am thankful for each and every person who gives us the opportunity to serve them.

Occasionally we have people who purchase flooring from us without first receiving a sample. We HIGHLY discourage anyone from doing this and inform them that they will have to pay the freight for making a return under these extraordinary circumstances.

My model is simple: We ship flooring direct from the manufacturer to the consumer. This saves you a TON of money.

Alan Ward
WeShipFloors.com
1-844-FLOOR11

o

Mr Obvious, thanks for the link...I'll check it out.

Actually, this thread started out with someone asking about Coretec in general, and the claim info was added later. If the mods think that Coretec alternative options I am considering as I make my flooring choice are not appropriate in this thread, hopefully they will chime in or split the threads for us.

I did take some comparison pics of the WSF vs Coretec samples, and will post those later. I can also include some Build Direct WPC samples as well.

o

MrObvious,

Our click system is a Valinge G2 - with royalty paid.

US Floors does not have a patent on WPC flooring. Yes, they have applied for one but it has not been granted. This product was produced long before they laid claim to it. The fact of the matter is Coretec Plus and our WPC flooring is produced by the exact same manufacturer in the exact same mill.

Alan Ward
WeShipFloors.com

o

All,

Here is a link to an album with 4 pics comparing the We Ship Floors product with the Coretec Plus product.

If I was going to go with the sample color in this pic, I would have gone with the WSF version just because the only difference is the cork. Unfortunately, WSF did not have a similar color to the one I wanted (Highlands Oak), so will be going with the Coretec XL line.

Here is a link that might be useful: WSF Sample vs Coretec Sample Album

o

FYI that I added pics of 2 Build Direct samples to the album I shared above.

The visuals on their product are just beautiful, but I found that they sounded very clicky if you tapped on them, plus I was able to scratch them more easily than other products I looked at. You can see the scratches on the plank on the left in the image showing the click mechanism.

FYI that I have no idea what locking system they use, but they do offer great customer service.

o

They just finished installing. Obviously, I don't know how it will hold up or if I'll encounter any of the problems others have seen. But here's an eye candy shot. (My contractor will be putting in a transition. We didn't order the vinyl one.

o

Joy, the floor looks great!

FYI that 28 boxes of the Coretec Plus XL in Highlands Oak just got delivered to my house today....demo starts on Monday, and we should be laying the floor on Wednesday!

o

Just an FYI regarding this comment from MrObvious:

To equalize Coretec Plus and this other potentially patent infringing product is just poor logic and misleads others. You could also do some research on copyright and patent infringements of the locking systems allegedly used on these products. There are basically 250 - 300 licenses, yet thousands of manufacturers purporting to use these locking systems. You may have done some research the best you can, but don't forget to ask yourself how do you know what you know is right? I have included a link for you. Tip - look for the holographic label on each carton to verify the locking system. Every licensed product has it.
http://blog.laminateflooringmanufacturers.com/the-legality-of-laminate-flooring-click-systems/

I just checked all 28 boxes of my namebrand Coretec Plus XL, and none of them had a holographic label. FYI that I ordered from a very high volume Coretec reseller, and am going to call and ask them about the label.

o

Bacardi621 - Should have specified that only Unilin and Valinge are doing that. Apologies for the confusion. Do you think the Coretec Plus is Unilin or Valinge or neither? For some reason Unilin is coming to mind, but they do not market that as a feature, which is odd if it is. Interested in what you find out.

o

I'm so glad we went with vinyl. We have had a few leaks from ice forming in inappropriate places in our freezer. If we'd had gotten laminate (or possibly wood), we'd have ruined it before I managed to install handles on my cabinet doors. I love the feel of the Cortec under foot, and I'm able to stand to cook without gel mats. Obviously, 20 days due not qualify me to speak to durability. ;)

Oh, it's US Floors. No hologram. I talked directly to the US Floors rep who told me where to go to see it.

o

Mr Obvious, I was told that Coretec was using the Valinge 2G lock system. I could find a press release where US Floors signed a contract with them for wood and cork, but couldn't find one specifically stating what the Coretec line is using...I should be talking to the reseller tomorrow and will let you know what I find out.

Eta: I found this article that says Unilin for the Coretec Plus XL line:
http://www.floorcoveringweekly.com/Main/Articles/USFloors_distinguishes_LVT_offering_with_COREtec_Plus_4503.aspx

This post was edited by Bacardi621 on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 0:27

o

Just an FYI that I just LOVE the color of the Coretec Pls XL (Highlands Oak) that I ordered, and I decided to expand my project to include the stairs.

I will be ordering stair noses and more product this week, plus demo starts on my 1st floor tomorrow. Can't wait until it is DONE1

o

My Coretec Plus XL install is currently in process, and we are about 1/4 done. (I am actively participating in the install, and my installer has not done this product before). Unfortunately the first wall we did butted into a fireplace in a corner, and that was definitely a learning experience. However, I love the completed part so much that I expanded my project to include the stairs, and may eventually do it upstairs as well.

I travel every other week, so will be picking back up the week of 11/9. Once we are done, I will share pics and some observations from both a decorating and install standpoint.

For anyone considering this product, FYI that I got the best price at nicefloors.com...they will ship anywhere.

This post was edited by Bacardi621 on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 11:12

o

Joy,
What color did you use in the kitchen pic? We are considering ordering Coretec for our entire 1st floor.

o

Kayakjim,

I am also doing my whole first floor. I did want to point out one thing that you might want to think about....the way that the planks click together, there is no visual "plank separation" like there is with real wood. So you end up with a floor that looks like a huge flat surface. I am personally fine with this since that means those little bevels don't collect cat litter, but it might bother others.

Here is a pic of the floor taken with the light on it:

o

And one of my install in process (please ignore the mess in the back!)

o

Kayakjim1990, mine is petrified forest. It has the shape of tile rather than wood planks. I actually wanted that color in more of a traditional plank, but what I wanted didn't really exist. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

o

Back from a week of work travel, and focused on the next week of floor installation...this is only taking so long since my contractor was physically overwhelmed by the tile demo. I actually laid 2 rows myself last night (48 y/o overweight female!) and it is pretty easy. Once I learn to use a circular and a jigsaw (which will happen this weekend), I could TOTALLY install this myself if there was no demo involved.

o

Thank you all for the great info in this post. I have been following it for some time as we made our decision on which material to use in replacing our floors. After much debate and following this thread, we decided to move forward with Coretec. Two young kids, a cat, etc, it makes the most sense for us. I just wanted to clarify one thing--I heard there was a recall on the floors (a while back) and understand from the posts here that the company is now using a new manufacturer. I am making the assumption that any floors ordered now (November) are from the new manufacturer. I don't like to assume so wanted to see if anyone had been given specific information on this? Thanks!

o

SMJ11, I was not aware of a recall, but did find that they had a different set of install instructions for any flooring purchased in 2014 or later. I had also heard that they changed manufacturers and locking systems.

My flooring is now 100% down and they are wrapping up the shoe molding. I absolutely love it, and have already had my bad cats put it to the test (sigh)....it passed with flying colors.

FYI that there was VERY little waste, so don't order a bunch of extra like I did. I am now doing my stairs, plus an upstairs landing and can't wait until it is all done. Once the furniture is put back, I'll post pics of the completed floors on the 1st floor.

Make sure you also shop around for price....I saved $2 a square foot and no sales tax by doing so.

o

All good news, thanks so much Bacardi621! Interested to know how it works out on your stairs. We were planning on carpet there but may be worth reconsidering. We also have cat "challenges" : )

o

SMJ, the negative to doing the stairs is the cost of the matching stair noses! I have 15 stairs, and the bottom 3 are larger than usual so I had to buy I think 9 stair noses at $45 (I think) each. Ugh.

FYI that I am doing the vinyl on the top of each stair, and white risers.

o

Checked out the dealer page that Bacardi621 recommended. They listed the Coretec Plus Warranties on their site, however, US Floors will not honor any warranty for their products sold online. This link is to their internet sales policy: http://www.usfloorsllc.com/about-usf/retailer-policy/

Does that mean the product is sold "as is" and the customer assumes all of the risk if the floor fails?

o

MrObvious...that is freaking scary and I am calling NiceFloors.com on Monday to see what they say. (And for the record they have given me nothing at a discount or for free) But I am really confused...first you said that Coretec was in a better category than other no-name products, but now you are disparaging online sales of the Coretec product? Exactly what are you recommending to people these days?

So back to my floors...we wrapped up the shoe molding today (also waterproof!) and used clear caulk between the shoe molding and the floors so that the floors were as cat proof as possible. We also laid the Coretec thresholds at the fireplace hearth and doors and it all looks AWESOME! Frankly, I could not be happier with how they look. The next project will be the stairs and my upstairs landing.

FYI that I live in FL (cheap housing!) and my last house was worth about $450k with wood and travertine, and to be truthful I would NOT use this product at that price point unless it was in a basement. My current townhouse is worth about $210k, and is in a neighborhood where everyone is doing laminate, I think this is a far superior product if you have pets or kids.

More pics to come once the kitchen backsplash and appliances are fully installed.

o

I just read the US Floors warranty and that is the usual BS from a company that is trying to discourage discounted internet sales. I am comfortable with the company I bought from, the product, and the quality of the install. If you read the warranty in detail, they will basically invalidate your warranty if the wind blows in the wrong direction. I call a major BS alert on all fronts and am completely ignoring this discussion as I feel there is an agenda at hand.

o

Just an FYI for any clean freaks installing this flooring....it is absolutely filthy right out of the box! I am using a Hoover Floormate with the hardwoods brush (more gentle than the tile brush) and the US Floors recommended Hilway Direct ph neutral cleaner and am just appalled (and so is my cat!) at the yucky dirt coming off the newly laid floor!

o

Interesting. Mine wasn't dirty at all.

o

Joy, they didn't look dirty but they definitely felt like there was a dusty layer as I pulled them out of the box. I am cleaning them again today before putting any furniture back.

o

Hello everyone,
How well do your transitions, T molds and stair caps match? We had Margate Oak installed which looks great, excellent quality. But I feel the transitions don't match at all.

o

I had my contractor make a custom wood transition. I had heard (from where I can't remember) that the transition piecess weren't great.

o

While my transition pieces look good, if you step on them there is a HORRID creaking sound. I am contacting my reseller this week because the scratchy, creaky noise is not acceptable.

Aside from that, my floors look AWESOME and everyone seems to think they are real wood. I couldn't be happier! Stairs are going in about 2 weeks from now, and I will post more pics at that point.

o

Found out my transition strip is squeaking because it isn't fully engaged. My contractor is going to have to grind down the tile a bit.

Also, I am still picking up lots of yucky, grayish dirty water when cleaning the floors. I read the instructions on the recommended cleaner, and it suggests using a stronger concentration on the first cleaning, and let it sit on the floor for 10-20 mins, mop it up, and rinse again with clean water.

I mixed up a stronger solution, applied with a spray bottle, but only left it sitting for a few mins. Then I used my Hoover Floormate and scrubbed it up...definitely dirty, despite being mopped weekly for the last 3 weeks or so. But they do look cleaner than before!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here