Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Subfloor blocking / Subfloor depth

Posted by boost2525 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 22:48

I need to do some subfloor repairs in our upstairs bath, the plan is to ultimatly lay tile down. Few quick questions:

1) The framing is 2x8's on almost 16" centers (they're all sistered and range from 16" to 20", it's hard to explain why other than "it's a split level")... I need to drop in some blocks along the wall to support the edges of the subfloor patches... do they need to be 2x8's as well, or can I get by with something smaller since they aren't structural just supportive?

2) What's the best way to support the blocking? Should I use big old joist hangers, or is there some magic framing component I missed last time I was at the store?

3) Assuming I have 1/2" (maybe 15/32"?) plywood as the subfloor... can I / what do I need to do to beef it up to support tile? I know backer board does provide any rigidity, so I'm guessing I need another layer of plywood... but what thickness?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Subfloor blocking / Subfloor depth

One of the things that drives the floor stiffness is how large a tile you want to use.

The span of the joists from support to support lengthwise determines how stiff they will be.

The thickness and material of the subfloor and the center to center joist spacing determines how stiff it will be.

Tile floors demand more than minimum stiffness (1.360 of span deflection) to not develop cracks.
Larger tiles (or stone) demand even more stiffness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here