Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't want transition piece between rooms!

Posted by shilly (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 22:35

We would like to take down a wall between our dining room and family room...We had Robbins 1/2" engineered oak flooring (2-1/4") laid in both rooms 11 years ago, and they don't make that size anymore, just 3" now. There will be a gap where the wall was...So, is it possible to trim each side of the ends of the wood and then lay a replacement piece perpendicular instead of using a transition piece? Another option is to redo the dining floor with the same flooring but 3", but I still don't want a transition piece. Could a really good flooring guy do that? Thanks for any suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't want transition piece between rooms!

How about a half wall, leave it waist high?.. Minding this is not a load barring wall? Correct?....

Other options are to fill the gap with 3/4" ply then run a laminate over the rooms or take all the entire floor up and replace.

o

Is your floor prefinished? Im assuming so. Todays theres hundreds of different flooring manf. It may be possible to match color or at least get it close. If not theres always the option of of feathering in 2 1/4 wood of the same style the sand and refinish. I guess theres more answers that are needed before a solid answer can be given. But a well trained / experienced floor professional can work wonders. And can make it seemless.

o

The wall IS load bearing, so there will be 2 columns for support. My main concern was if it was possible to put more wood perpendicular between the two rooms...We have a whole box of the 3" wood,same company, color, etc., because we had our master bedroom done using it last year. That's how we learned the company no longer made the 2-1/4. I just wanted to make sure ANY wood could be laid in the gap, but running perpendicular to both rooms. That way, we wouldn't have to replace any of the existing flooring. Does "feathering" mean weaving more wood in? It's glued down, so can just some of it be pulled up without messing up a huge area?

o

Yes thats what feathering means. Since its glued its going to be more work but you might find a pro for the right price. Although after reading their quote you may opt for a transition.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here