Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joygreenwald

Urgent help needed

joygreenwald
9 years ago

We got floor water under our door today and the water managed to get into the expansion gap and under our interlocking vinyl floor. We didn't do the install ourselves, so I'm not sure how to go about dealing with this. Should I remove the baseboards and attempt to remove the planks? (Should I just beg the installer to come back and deal with it tomorrow?)

FYI, we do have a underlayment designed for vinyl underneath, but under that are aesbestos tiles.

Please offer any advice. My husband is loosing his mind about this.

Comments (3)

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

I do not know what you mean by an interlocking vinyl floor. If it is an interlocking laminate construction with a fiberboard core of some kind, then you have not only the issue of water trapped beneath the flooring, but also the fact that the moisture is damaging the material.

The existence of an asbestos containing floor tile under the flooring is of no concern or consequence. It is not hazardous as found.

By all means let the installer know. Or, if you think you can disassemble and reassemble them yourselves, then have at it.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

It won't hurt vinyl. But vinyl doesn't use an underlayment. Laminare does. And water destroys laminate. So you really need to know what type of floor you have. And you may need to call your insurance company if a lot of water came in and it's laminate. You certainly need to address the issue that allowed that to happen. Check the grading away from the house, the gutters, and the flashing. Water should not be coming into the house.

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually, you can use an underlayment with click vinyl. It's a different type made by Lumber Liquidators for LVP, which is what we have. I'm not confused about the kind of floor. (I know it was unnecessary, but it made DH feel better about the asbestos underneath, and that was worth $150 to me. Those tiles make him a little crazy. He knows there is no reason. And I know he's being unreasonable. Emotions, by definition, are not rational.)

I know the water won't hurt the floor itself. I'm just wondering how urgent the problem is. I essentially have standing water. Good to know that the asbestos won't be hurt by the water (if I'm reading glensfc's post correctly.) I'm also not sure if i am in any danger of damaging the planks by uninstalling. Unfortunately, we got a bunch of damages planks and ended up with no extras. We got them on closeout, and there are no more to be had anywhere.