Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does polished porcilean scratch?

Posted by breadandsuch (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 21:41

Does anyone here have experience with polished porcelean? Iknow that if it scratches, you cannot buff it out. I want to know how easily it scratches. I have a busy household and alot of traffic, and I do not want to regret this decision. My second choice would be an eggshell porcelean.
Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does polished porcilean scratch?

I don't know what you mean by polished. Do mean something that shines like marble? I've had a high gloss porcelain on the floor of my bathroom for four years. It's not a mirror finish but it is certainly much shinier than eggshell.

There is not a scratch on my tile. It gets HARD use. It is not unusual for me to find a piece of gravel on the floor, which means it was stuck in the treads of someone's shoe from my gravel driveway outside. If someone can walk on it with gravel in their shoe and not leave a scratch, I don't know what it would take to scratch it!

I was very surprised to learn after the tile was installed, that the shine is not expected to last forever! I think the materials I was given say it will last 10-15 years. I don't know what I'm supposed to do about that when it happens!

o
RE: Does polished porcilean scratch?

Glazed porcelain is about as hard as glass.

While the glaze can be chipped(and the underlying porcelain cracked) it is that hard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here