Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to clean polyurethane-coated hardwood floors?

Posted by mollyshumom (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 07 at 21:20

Please help. The second floor renovation is complete and although the contractor covered everything and used barriers, plaster dust has settled throughout the house. I have vacuumed and vacuumed, but there is still a faint white film on all the polyurethane-coated hardwood floors. What's the best way to clean them?

Thanks

Molly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to clean polyurethane-coated hardwood floors?

I use a very slightly damp mop and Bona hardwood floor cleaner.

Red

o

I would try vinegar and water, and a few drops of lemon juice. I use this mixture to wash my hard wood flooring. But I also have the Hoover Floor Mate..I never use the wood floor cleaner they want you to use .. I put the above mixture in it's place..if you don't have the floor mate, just use what you normally use when washing your floors..good luck! Hope it works for you.
Ree

o

Yep! That's it...damp mop, vinegar helps a bit, rinse the mop often. That should do it.

o

1. daily to a few times a week: dry mop or mop with a treated head dry mop for ease in picking up the dust.
  2. weekly to a few times a month: vaccuum (make sure you dont scratch the floor doing this)
  3. monthly to a few times a year: damp mop with a very very very dry damp mop with either a product recommended by your hardwood manufacturer or a mild solution of vinegar and water, or a very mild cleaning solution that will not leave a residue. there are a few of them out recommended for wood. They key here is very very very dry damp mopping. Enough just so it picks up the dirt your regular cleaning regimine can't.

Remember that excessive moisture is your wood floors worst enemy (next to that dropped cast iron frying pan!).

Bona - Bona X - BonaKemi has some of the very best hardwood cleaning and maitenance products under the sun, so I highly suggest in investing in them. So good that we give our customers their Hardwood Premium Kit with every hardwood installation (no i dont work for BonaKemi).

Alot of hardwood flooring care is (or should be) preventative action, instead of reactionary after an "incident".

• use of felt furniture pads
  • floor mats inside and outside of each entrance
  • rules for no shoes (impractical in some situations but if you can stop that running kid with the stone caught in the sole of his shoe or asphalt just once, its worth it!)
  • keep area rugs and mats cleaned daily and /or vaccuumed
  • use carpet runners in traffic areas where practical
  • clean any spills up immediately

Cleaning Your Hardwood Flooring

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here