Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mohawk vs Mirage.....And is this a good price for it?

Posted by jerseygirl07067 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 20:35

A well known flooring place in town has some discounted Mirage for $4.89 squ foot, it is engineered natural oak. Wherever we purchase from, we are planning on with their pro to do the glue down install. However, this place is rated poorly on the Better Business Bureau, and the price is suspiciously low to me for Mirage.

The other place we went to, smaller, family owned, has Mohawk Natural Oak on sale for $2.89. They have a much better rating on the BBB and I know someone who has used them and liked them.

Should we go with the better rated place? The same Mirage floor there is $7 or so sq/ft. The discounted Mirage has kind of sucked me in a bit, but interestingly it's the only Mirage line the well known flooring store carries and they are not an authorized distributor so if there's problems, I can see trouble.

what would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mohawk vs Mirage.....And is this a good price for it?

My advice would be to buy the Mirage and have someone else install it. Be carefull of anything that costs @2.89 that is super cheap product.

Which mohawk style is it?

SL

o
RE: Mohawk vs Mirage.....And is this a good price for it?

We were super lucky to find a contractors overstock of Mirage Lock in October 2010. Cost was $2.99 per square foot and yes the normal cost was much, much higher, I think around $10-11 per square foot! That's Lock. When we did some adjoining stairs we chose matching Mirage Engineered & we had to pay full price and that was about $12 per square foot! NO difference in quality and I don't think if it's got the Mirage name on it it'll ever be a poor quality! no kidding. Mirage is known as the "cadillac" of flooring and I don't think they even keep seconds! We installed it ourselves and it fit together like a glove, such precision product we still can't believe the quality! I don't think I'd hesitate to buy the deal you've found. (But is it in stock and can you actually see the boxes you'll be buying? If not the stores reputation and getting taken for a ride by a crooked company would be more my worry than the Mirage floor brand) PS: keep in mind, stairnose and other trim by Mirage is EXpensive, more than the flooring, so figure that in too!) Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here