Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanted: Hardwood flooring installation advice

Posted by pieng4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 20:18

My wife and I are currently building a new home and we're looking for advice on how we should install the hardwood flooring. The flooring is 3-1/4" wide x 3/4" solid hickory by Somerset. We're installing the flooring over 23/32" thick tongue and groove OSB subflooring that's glued and nailed down onto TGIs that are 16" on center. The flooring is being installed on the main floor which has a basement underneath it. The million dollar question: do we install the flooring parallel to the subflooring or perpendicular? Also, is it worth installing another layer of 1/4" hardwood plywood over the subflooring before we install the hardwood? We're located in the Midwest so humidity is all over the map. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanted: Hardwood flooring installation advice

Install the floor across the joists.
Make sure you have a good vapor barrier underneath before you install.
Are you installing humidity control for the house?

I would suggest you wait until the HVAC system is up and running.

Make sure you do a moisture check on the subfloor and dont install if over 10%. And check the wood too. (the wood shouldnt be wet but this just to double check. Also as much as warrantys are useless this step is needed to keep it valid)

Also have the wood acclimate inside the home for a few days before install.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here