Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leosdad

Warping floor runs

Leosdad
10 years ago

I live in a cracker style house built in 1930. It has the original harwood floors. For this questions I will say the joist run east and west, and the floor boards run north and south.

At the center wall of the house running north and south, I have a 55 gallon salt water aquarium. It sits on a 2x4 and plywood stand. Total weight of tank, water, stand, gravel and rocks in tank is approximately 658 pounds.

I recently noticed that the wood board are "bowing up" where the boards meet along side each other just in frot of the tank stand. Several of the boards seem to have this happening and on some boards, continues towards the kitchen for approximately 5 feet, but not ALL boards.

I did not notice this before when I first moved in, (May 2013) and it may have been present before, but I think I would have felt it walking barefooted through the house.

The house sat empty for some time and only recently, (past 3 months) has had air conditioning used in the house.

Could the weight of the tank be causing the joists to sag and subsequently cause the floor boards to bow.

NO WATER HAS LEAKED FROM THE TANK, so I can't see where this could be a water issue. Trust me, I would know if water was leaking. I watch this tank very closely.

Only a 2 year old can fit under the house, so inspection is a "no go".

Any ideas? Particularly along the idea of the wieght being the problem. Or could it be the fact that the interior is much cooler than the exterior, and causing the wood boards to react to the temperature differential?

I live in Florida across the street from a river and very near the Gulf of Mexico.

Any replies would be welcomed.

Leosdad

Comments (4)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

That is cupping. It comes from moisture. While the tank might not be leaking, it could be adding a lot of humidity to the air, more pronounced in the area directly around it perhaps. It certainly does sound tank-related, if that's the only place you have seen it. Or humidity or moisture coming up from the crawl space below, but why just in front of the tank. With solid wood floors like that, it's something that can come and go, depending on moisture changes in the environment.

In this old house, you can see minor cupping of the boards. It looks like an old house, so not bothersome :) I wouldn't want to see it on one of the new modern looking floors of today, however. Not quite the same effect!

Interestingly, there can be dry cupping too. From too dry an atmosphere. But that is with engineered and prefinished flooring. The top layer dries out more than the bottom layer, which also causes a cupping effect.
    Dry cupping: http://hardwoodfloorsmag.com/articles/article.aspx?articleid=327&zoneid=1

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 22:56

• Leosdad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank U Snookums2. It is a questions as to why only in front of the fish tank. I built the stand and made it higher than the average store bought stand for a tank this size. I hate bending over to look at the fish. I have to bottom of the tank sitting at 42 inches above the floor.

We have had lots and lots and lots of rain over the past month or so and the house sits very low to the ground. I really can't tell too much about the foundation, but it looks as though the floor joists may sit within 8-10 inches of the ground.

I'm also thinking the other direction too. If the humidity level is low in the house, maybe a humidifier would help.

I guess it's all "hit and miss" in trying to decide which way to go. It's not a trip hazard yet, but I wonder just how far it will go. Maybe when the rains let up and things start drying out, it may return to normal and then we will have an answer.

So thank u for leading me in a direction I can follow.

Leosdad

• Vertise
    10 years ago

It's usually too much humidity that causes the cupping. All the rain could be affecting things too. Put a humidistat near the tank and then compare to humidity levels in areas where this is not happening.

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

I think the fish are having late-night splashing parties when you're asleep.