Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmbaker3_gw

Berber Carpet Padding... does anyone know.

jmbaker3
13 years ago

I give up. Been trying to find the right padding for a berber carpet install. All I get are different stories from every store I visited. I want a firm pad under new berber carpet. I do not want a mussy feel. Does anyone know what the proper pad is. even checking with carpet manufacturers I get different answers...

Comments (7)

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

Mine was installed with a high grade felt pad. Generally, you do not use the same pad for a berber as with other carpets (ie rebond). Six years later, it looks the same as the day it was installed (except for my psycho cat who day one thought it was something to unravel).

• jmbaker3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know not to use the rebond... we did an install with a rubber type padding and it feels too squishy. The installers cut the berber wrong and tried to hide a patch, so they get to do the install all over again with new carpet. This time I want the correct padding as well. do you know the name of the felt pad you used. I think this stuff is manufactured with all sorts of names, so you cant shop it.

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

Sorry I dont and they didn't leave us any remnants. However, a reputable floor installer would never put a squishy rug pad under berber. I would go to a couple other stores (not chain stores) where the business has been around for decades and just "shop" a berber install, asking about padding. You should quickly be able to find what they use.

• jmbaker3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Been to a number of stores around my area... they all recommend rebond. Carpet One has to redo one of the rooms they just did because of a poor installation. They have ordered new carpet. The padding they used was a rubber type, with a spill guard, but it is 7/16. Not to mention I paid extra for this padding. I am convinced those who are unemployable are hired by flooring and matteras companies.

• echoflooring
    13 years ago

Their are few and far between bright flooring people...I agree. it is an extremely demanding business. We have terminated or went through over 50 employees in the last 4 years. Now to your question...everyone of these stores can order you a 21 to 35 lb felt....about a quarter of an inch thick.. It will be a little more money than re-bond. Around 5 bucks a yard, i would guess. I do not sell it...We sell a 1/4 inch rebond 8 pound. It will not feel squishy. Anything over 3/8 of inch gives the berber an abnormal feel in my opinion. I have a berber styled in my rentals an I install 1/4 inch rebond under the product. Rebond (1/4) or felt will keep your berber looking like new until you get tired of looking at it. These are the facts. PS. Felt I am told by one of my mentors relieves the peaking a little bit faster in case you have seam placement in obvious spots. Good Luck

• jmbaker3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well it seems we have more than just a padding issue. First off echoflooring, I agree now that the padding under berber should be no more than 3/8...

Last night my wife pulled out a sample of the Karastan she had in the closet and a piece of the carpet scrap from the install. There are differents which make us think, either a substitute or a lower grade Karastan (?) has been installed. The backing on the carpet has similiar patterns as our sample, however, the threading on the back of the install scrap is significantly different and the loop on the berber is not the same...on the sample there is a "shaved" pattern on some of the piles and the pattern in the berber is pronouned. On the scrap there is no shaving, nor is the berber pattern very pronouced. Now I understand it has been in a roll and compressed, but no matter what we do to try and fluff up the scrap, brush it, rake it or whatever, it does not display like our sample. We are really upset with this and will head back to the store today. All along we have been dealing with the owner of this Carpet One store, but now don't trust them. Not only do we think there is a problem with the product, the installer cut the carpet wrong and tried to hide a patch. They have ordered replacement, but now we are concerned the whole job is flawed, from pad to carpet and install. Frustrated!

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

I don't deal with chain carpet places ever. We have a local store that is owned and operated by a family that has been in business decades. I always research my installer as well. Installers are generally contracted employees that often jump from company to company after they are let go for shoddy workmanship. So it's best to know who they have hired and how long this person has been working with them.

For my carpet, the installer had a great rep but when installing Axminster he was out of his league and the stairs had to be redone 3x. I didn't do my homework on that one. But for the tile and laminate I learned from that mistake and hired the laminate guy directly myself and researched the tile guy and found out that the best builder in this area only used him.

Let us know how it works out and good luck to you!