Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flooring in Florida

Posted by mandysbaba (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 20:04

We will be relocating to Florida, and the house we bought has old icky carpet in the bedrooms. We want to replace the carpeting (we have zero carpet in our present home) with maple floors. Any suggestions for reliable flooring stores and/or contractors? Hard to know where to look in a new city. We will be in Plantation (Ft. Lauderdale area.) Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flooring in Florida

I'm in North Central Florida, so unfortunately I don't have any useful recommendations. There's plenty of Lumber Liquidators in Florida. They are, at the very least, a good place to start looking and getting some pricing info.

One of the problems you will likely run into is that most houses in Florida are built on a slab and don't have any subfloor, so you'll either have to put in a subfloor (can get costly) if you want to do nail down and finish on-site or you'll have to do some kind of pre-finished, engineered floating floor. I had a lot of installers recommend against glue down because of the humidity levels in Florida causing too much expansion of the glue itself (rather than the wood).

Good luck with your move! I lived in south Florida for a long time. It's terribly fun and you'll love the beaches... just stay off the freeways. Ha.

o
RE: Flooring in Florida

Wood is a BAD idea in Florida! However, if you like the "look", there's an excellent new tile out you'd swear was wood slats! It comes in what must be 4x18" pieces. I rent / rehab / flip homes & even I was very impressed with it. Remember, your putting this on a concrete floor base.... no wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here