Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing engineered floors

Posted by jwalker678 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 19:02

The new condo I will be moving into has engineered wood floors that are 7 years old and in good shape but wondering if it would make sense to refinish since it will be empty for a couple of weeks before moving. Total area is 1500 sf. Ideally I would like to change the color i.e darker but I am guessing that to do so would not make sense economically. If I am just looking for a like-new result what is the process and any idea of cost and time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing engineered floors

The cheapest option would be a buff and coat. Wouldnt change color but would refresh the floor. Its where the abrase the top layer of finish and lay down a fresh coat of your choice of poly.

Next would be to sand. Since its eng. you would want a pro. Its real easy to sand thru the top layer of wood. Thus wrecking the floor.

o

Recoats to engineered flooring can be problematic. Make sure you test for adhesion before investing time and materials. Contrary to popular belief, not all engineered hardwood can be successfully recoated.

o

Recoats to engineered flooring can be problematic. Make sure you test for adhesion before investing time and materials. Contrary to popular belief, not all engineered hardwood can be successfully recoated.

o

o

Any idea what I should expect to pay for a buff and coat. 1500 sf, Chicago.

o

Probably around $1.00 per sq.

If you put an ad on craigslist you may find some crappy people claiming they can do it for less but thats a risk. Anything above 1.50 and keep trying.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here