Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oil-finished flooring upkeep?

Posted by HeatherKB6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 19:02

We are currently building our "forever" house, and are having a hard time deciding on our wood floors. We are down to two options right now, the Bella Cera Amalfi Coast flooring and the Castle Combe flooring. We love the look of wide-planks and hand-distressed wood. I'm leaning towards the look of the Castle Combe because of the more sheen/less shine look, but am concerned how the upkeep is with oiled flooring with 4 small kids and a busy family. Any advice from those who do have these floors, or any other suggestions of places to look that have non-oil finished floors that would be less shiny? Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oil-finished flooring upkeep?

Upkeep on prefinished floors can be a lot or alittle. Depends on the little ones. My customers i recommend that they dust mop once a week until they get the feel of how often that needs to be done. Then i suggest they simply spot clean spills and then once aweek i suggest a damp mop with warm water. This all verys depending on the traffic in the home.

Keep in mind the darker the color the more dust and foot prints you see on the floor regardless of sheen. Meaning you can mop the floor when it looks dirty and litterally in hours it will "look" dirty again. Keep that in mind.

o
RE: Oil-finished flooring upkeep?

The sheen level of almost any finish can be reduced.

It generally cannot be increased though.

The material added to dull the gloss cannot be removed, but a very fine scratch pattern can be applied to further dull the sheen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here