Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carpet Experts: Nylon v. Poly?

Posted by gus5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 18:43

We are building a new home and are installing carpet upstairs in the hallway and bedrooms. My builder typically installs a polyester (Shaw, Chadwick II) but the carpet guy is steering me towards Nylon. I just did some research to find out if one is more environmentally friendly but I couldn't glean that. Also, I'm now more confused about the differences between the two! Any opinions/expertise is welcome!

On a side note...I'm cringing as I research carpets because I feel like we will be walking (and laying) on chemicals! I should probably look at wool but I'm allergic to wool. Am I crazy? Any reassurance out there for me?! =)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carpet Experts: Nylon v. Poly?

many polys come from recycled pop bottles so yes, more environmentally friendly. Nylon traditionally wears better however I don't know the construction of the Shaw product you mentioned. Friezes are very good for wear. Polys traditionally do better on stain resistance and for fading, however nylons are normally the 'better' choice. Almost all new carpet is 'green' in terms of chemicals etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here